Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Illegal to erase codes?

  1. Top Of Page | #1
    REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Illegal to erase codes?

    Here in San Angelo dad and I went to o’Rileys for his tahoe. We swapped out his headlights, while checking the lights these new tahoes have to be running to get all lights on to check output. So that threw a code. Went to O’Riley’s to get them to clear it, and they said it was illegal to clear codes now. They said they were told by DPS that people were getting codes cleared before going to get state inspections. I had asked when that took effect, they said they had no idea about this till beginning of January. Long story short we were able to get them cleared by a friend of a friend. Anyone else call BS on this? I think it’s a new boot trooper just making a name for himself. I can’t for the life of me locate the state code or federal laws on this. Any suggestions?


  2. Top Of Page | #2

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    Up here in Mass neither autozone nor Orilies will clear codes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


  3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member 03 unicorn's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    Quote Originally Posted by REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS View Post
    Here in San Angelo dad and I went to o’Rileys for his tahoe. We swapped out his headlights, while checking the lights these new tahoes have to be running to get all lights on to check output. So that threw a code. Went to O’Riley’s to get them to clear it, and they said it was illegal to clear codes now. They said they were told by DPS that people were getting codes cleared before going to get state inspections. I had asked when that took effect, they said they had no idea about this till beginning of January. Long story short we were able to get them cleared by a friend of a friend. Anyone else call BS on this? I think it’s a new boot trooper just making a name for himself. I can’t for the life of me locate the state code or federal laws on this. Any suggestions?
    Well where the county I live in North Carolina we do emissions inspections on gas vehicles under 8600lb and all our local parts store will not erase codes either for the same reason your guy said and haven't done it for several years now. So I have heard the same thing as you. Just go find you a cheapish code reader and keep it in your shop.

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk


  4. Top Of Page | #4
    mseitz24's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    I don't know how other states work but in WI if you try and do the emissions check after clearing codes it will show as not ready and they wont pass you. There has to be so many miles after the clear for the system to be ready. Clearing codes would not allow you to get a vehicle passed that would otherwise fail.

    2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

  5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member 03 unicorn's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    Quote Originally Posted by mseitz24 View Post
    I don't know how other states work but in WI if you try and do the emissions check after clearing codes it will show as not ready and they wont pass you. There has to be so many miles after the clear for the system to be ready. Clearing codes would not allow you to get a vehicle passed that would otherwise fail.
    Here in NC it is the same I think it is about 20-30 miles before it will read a pass or not.

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk


  6. Top Of Page | #6
    Crshanta's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    It is not illegal to clear codes. If it was how would you able able to reset after installing hard parts?

    it may be against their company policy.

    2018 srw 3500

  7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member mud015's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    I had a similar thing happen to me here in Arizona about 5 months ago at a local parts store.

    I talked him into it because I spent a **** ton money on parts to fix the issue but needed the codes cleared.

    You can thank the EPA I'm sure for this as well.


  8. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member mud015's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    or use your mm3 tuner! oh wait


  10. Top Of Page | #9
    REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    But funny thing is they are still selling scanner tools. I think it’s really dumb. It sounds like another glorious and helpful EPA doing. Luckily we don’t have emissions testing here “yet”.


  11. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #10
    NonFord's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Illegal to erase codes?

    Quote Originally Posted by REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS View Post
    But funny thing is they are still selling scanner tools. I think it’s really dumb. It sounds like another glorious and helpful EPA doing. Luckily we don’t have emissions testing here “yet”.
    Yea, buy the scanner, clear the code and return it!!!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •