Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illegal to erase codes?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Illegal to erase codes?

I picked up a cheap reader/scanner,it was thirty bucks,I think its an autel off amazon,worked great when I had a need for it

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mseitz24 View Post
    I don't know how other states work but in WI if you try and do the emissions check after clearing codes it will show as not ready and they wont pass you. There has to be so many miles after the clear for the system to be ready. Clearing codes would not allow you to get a vehicle passed that would otherwise fail.

Yes this is what happens exactly. Even though someone clears the code it won't show anything to the driver but when the shop plugs in their system it will state that it is not ready and then will instruct you to drive around a few more days or week and then to come back in which by then once the mileage hits, normally the check engine light you were trying to hide comes back LOL.

I think in texas you are allowed one non ready fault as long as it didn't deal with safety or something like that i can't remember. I had one non ready and they explained that to me on the ol 2001 camry we have as a beater.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I was told a few years ago by the manager of O'Reilly's that I knew really good that it was against company policy for them to clear codes.

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

They haven't cleared them in alot of years in Ohio if they ever did at all.

It's a liability thing.

Code readers are cheap...just pick one up and do it yourself.

7. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I can't imagine owning a new vehicle and not owning a code reader.

For less than $100 you can get one that will clear most codes.

Yes, it will take a bit of driving around to clear some of them officially, but it has already saved my bacon by clearing codes related to frozen DEF fluid and keeping me out of limp mode.

9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

It is not "illegal" to clear codes.

You can buy a $20 scanner and do it yourself.

Everyone needs to get off this idea that there are government gestapo agents behind every tree.

It is your truck, you can do whatever you want to it.

You can also take responsibility of it if it voids the warranty.

When we live in a country where you have numerous Presidential candidates that want to provide everything and a bag of chips to folks that enter our borders illegally and want to make Heroin and Meth amphetamines legal yet want to tell me that I can't modify my truck or clear trouble codes?!

That is a truck that I worked and paid for...eventually something is going to have to give in this situation, and it wont be me.

Also, you may not want to listen to advice from a parts guy for what you can and can't do.

10. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdh1168 View Post
    It is not "illegal" to clear codes.

You can buy a $20 scanner and do it yourself.

Everyone needs to get off this idea that there are government gestapo agents behind every tree.

It is your truck, you can do whatever you want to it.

You can also take responsibility of it if it voids the warranty.

When we live in a country where you have numerous Presidential candidates that want to provide everything and a bag of chips to folks that enter our borders illegally and want to make Heroin and Meth amphetamines legal yet want to tell me that I can't modify my truck or clear trouble codes?!

That is a truck that I worked and paid for...eventually something is going to have to give in this situation, and it wont be me.

Also, you may not want to listen to advice from a parts guy for what you can and can't do.
    Preach!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12