Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Weird idle and knocking noise and codes

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Weird idle and knocking noise and codes

I’ve got a 06 Cummins 2500 that’s got all types of mods. The truck sounds like it’s knocking and is throwing codes p0148 p0243 and it don’t do it all the time. Sometimes it looses power and cuts out and when I start it to let it warm up it idles weird and will rev up a little on its own. Sometimes the lights will dim and then that’s when it will start knocking again. It’s got efi live with the five switch dual CP3 pump by industrial injection FASS 150 lift pump 250 hp over injectors just bought two years ago. Compound turbos 66 over 88. The truck don’t do it all the time the knocking sounds like it’s almost by the fly wheel or oil pan and sometimes it won’t do it till I put it in gear! It’ll kinda run sluggish and big and cuts out SOMETIMES! Sometimes it will run fine! In economy mode it makes a little over 900 hp. But I don’t get on it much. It’s just so weird and the code is so vague! It’s also throwing p0633. My programmer is showing the codes and so was the scanner I hooked up at orielys auto parts! Please help! I bought new fuel filter just ain’t installed them yet! Does anyone know what this could be? I’m new to the diesel scene. Thank for your help!

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Weird idle and knocking noise and codes

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas candler View Post
    I’ve got a 06 Cummins 2500 that’s got all types of mods. The truck sounds like it’s knocking and is throwing codes p0148 p0243 and it don’t do it all the time. Sometimes it looses power and cuts out and when I start it to let it warm up it idles weird and will rev up a little on its own. Sometimes the lights will dim and then that’s when it will start knocking again. It’s got efi live with the five switch dual CP3 pump by industrial injection FASS 150 lift pump 250 hp over injectors just bought two years ago. Compound turbos 66 over 88. The truck don’t do it all the time the knocking sounds like it’s almost by the fly wheel or oil pan and sometimes it won’t do it till I put it in gear! It’ll kinda run sluggish and big and cuts out SOMETIMES! Sometimes it will run fine! In economy mode it makes a little over 900 hp. But I don’t get on it much. It’s just so weird and the code is so vague! It’s also throwing p0633. My programmer is showing the codes and so was the scanner I hooked up at orielys auto parts! Please help! I bought new fuel filter just ain’t installed them yet! Does anyone know what this could be? I’m new to the diesel scene. Thank for your help!

If there is no fuel smell, or if your test of the fuel lines and rails indicates no leaks, then the P0148 code is likely indicating a fuel control actuator (FCA) problem, or a problem in the fuel pressure sensor itself.

OBD II fault code P0243 is a generic code that is defined as “Turbocharger (TC) wastegate regulating valve “A” – circuit malfunction, and is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detects a malfunction in the control and/or signal circuit of the valve that regulates the operation of the turbocharger wastegate.

Start putting the truck program back to stock. If that doesn't help, you better call Industrial

These codes may not apply with those mods. You can google them to get more info. That's all I did

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks timshooter40, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I don’t smell any fuel I’ve switched it to stock mode and it’ll still do it sometimes!

I was thinking maybe an injector?

What’s steps should I take in this matter guys?

I’m a decent mechanic but I’m just new to diesels.

I had a 6.6 duramax before this but I’ve never worked on these trucks before.

How can I post a video of it on here to show you better?

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas candler View Post
    Do both codes come up at the same time if/when they appear?

Do you have the ability to monitor desired rail pressure vs actual? If so monitor these and look when truck runs poorly to see if it’s indeed related to rail pressure. The Fass has an easy spot to add one if you’re interested in adding one.

If you have a pump pressure gauge that would be helpful to watch as well.

For the fuel code the FCA is pretty easy to check on stock CP3 - not sure how industrials setup is exactly.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks Nicholas candler thanked for this post
    Likes Nicholas candler, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

If it's a knock and it's intermittent it's fuel system related.

Just went through this on an 05, shockingly enough it was also Industrial Injection 60hp injectors that where the problem.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post