Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: 6.4 Hemi vs 6.7 Cummins for AEV?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

6.4 Hemi vs 6.7 Cummins for AEV?

Hey folks,

I just did some test driving over the weekend and thought I was heading down a path of ordering a HEMI 6.4 2500 Megacab with 4.10 gearing. Dealer mentioned AEV after talking to me about my plans for the truck because I'm currently driving a 2012 Ford Raptor, and I am thinking this is a great fit after reading through most of the forum and most of everything else I can find on the net. Full disclosure - I have not driven the Cummins, and plan to go back to the lot in the near future to get a feel for it.

Where I'm now stumped is if I should stick with the HEMI plan, or if I would be better off taking the diesel option? It appears to me that most folks have gone the diesel route based on the info I've found.

About me... I do not have any toys that require towing, just people and gear for mountain trails through the Pacific Northwest. I am not a speed demon, but I do live in an urban area that puts stop lights to gate traffic entering the highway, so acceleration from a stop to highway speed in a short distance is important to me. Vehicle will be pulling double duty of commuter vehicle (10m a day on average), it will likely be the vehicle I take when I go on road trips(couple of times a year, all within the NW), and of course it will be my year-round mountain goat for the weekends (150m+) throughout the year. Northwest mountains can be mud, sludgy forest flora in mid-decay, low water, gravel, rocks, snow... I love it all.

Is the change to the larger tires (weight, grip), heavier bumper, winch etc... going to make the HEMI less satisfying? I've seen a few comments down this path...

Is the fuel savings / total distance per tank what drives folks to the diesel? Excluding initial cost, I've seen reviews online of these going into the low 20's on the highway. I'm not sure I've ever owned a vehicle that could do that, but the range per tank intrigues me.

Is the 15,000 miles between maintenance what is doing it? Don't care as much, I'm thankfully in a position to take the vehicle in when it needs to in either situation...

Is the re-purpose of the spare tire location to a 30g titan fuel tank, effectively doubling the max range while also adding more rear axle weight what drives folks? This is curious to me both about the range of the vehicle, as well as the extra weight I could add to the rear without actually having to fill the bed and lose out on my storage. 250lb with a kit based on what I'm seeing...

Combination of the above? Is it something else? Hopefully my local dealership will be able to get my attention when one comes in so I can play with it. Sounds like they get a couple every quarter, but they move fast.

Thanks

2. Thanks watersupply189, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 6.4 Hemi vs 6.7 Cummins for AEV?

I personally could not go back to a gas rig. A little Toyota or something or Jeep, ya OK, but as far as a 3/4 ton and up truck, no way. I drove one of those Hemi's when they first came out, I wasn't impressed. The 460 Ford or V10 Dodge, you knew you where driving a gasser but at least you could feel something.

Yes adding weight/larger tires is felt a lot more on a gas rig, they have far less torque then the diesel.

I would get a crew cab short bed Cummins, then contact Chris at Thuren suspension. He will have your truck riding like a dream and going anywhere, of course, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

4. Thanks watersupply189, Murph thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Murph, Aboshan liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iassmi View Post
    Hey folks,

I just did some test driving over the weekend and thought I was heading down a path of ordering a HEMI 6.4 2500 Megacab with 4.10 gearing. Dealer mentioned AEV after talking to me about my plans for the truck because I'm currently driving a 2012 Ford Raptor, and I am thinking this is a great fit after reading through most of the forum and most of everything else I can find on the net. Full disclosure - I have not driven the Cummins, and plan to go back to the lot in the near future to get a feel for it.

Where I'm now stumped is if I should stick with the HEMI plan, or if I would be better off taking the diesel option? It appears to me that most folks have gone the diesel route based on the info I've found.

About me... I do not have any toys that require towing, just people and gear for mountain trails through the Pacific Northwest. I am not a speed demon, but I do live in an urban area that puts stop lights to gate traffic entering the highway, so acceleration from a stop to highway speed in a short distance is important to me. Vehicle will be pulling double duty of commuter vehicle (10m a day on average), it will likely be the vehicle I take when I go on road trips(couple of times a year, all within the NW), and of course it will be my year-round mountain goat for the weekends (150m+) throughout the year. Northwest mountains can be mud, sludgy forest flora in mid-decay, low water, gravel, rocks, snow... I love it all.

Is the change to the larger tires (weight, grip), heavier bumper, winch etc... going to make the HEMI less satisfying? I've seen a few comments down this path...

Is the fuel savings / total distance per tank what drives folks to the diesel? Excluding initial cost, I've seen reviews online of these going into the low 20's on the highway. I'm not sure I've ever owned a vehicle that could do that, but the range per tank intrigues me.

Is the 15,000 miles between maintenance what is doing it? Don't care as much, I'm thankfully in a position to take the vehicle in when it needs to in either situation...

Is the re-purpose of the spare tire location to a 30g titan fuel tank, effectively doubling the max range while also adding more rear axle weight what drives folks? This is curious to me both about the range of the vehicle, as well as the extra weight I could add to the rear without actually having to fill the bed and lose out on my storage. 250lb with a kit based on what I'm seeing...

Combination of the above? Is it something else? Hopefully my local dealership will be able to get my attention when one comes in so I can play with it. Sounds like they get a couple every quarter, but they move fast.

Thanks
    Welcome friend! I have a few friends that like their 6.4 3/4 ton but for me I prefer my Cummins. It has more torque than a gasser and better fuel mileage but you would also have to consider the cost of maintenance compared to a gas truck. These diesels will be twice the cost in maintaining. Twice the oil, twice the fuel filters etc.... plus the cost of diesel fuel is more per gallon than gas and don’t forget to factor in having to put DEF in every 6-8k miles. Longevity wise and reliability, the Cummins is the way to go if you don’t mind spending a little more in maintaining it.
    Keep us informed on what you decide friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Likes Murph, Aboshan liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Hey folks,

Thanks

your signature shows you have a 2017 ram 3500 but you say you drive a raptor. your location is the Northeast but you are talking about the NorthWest. if you are wanting a vehicle that you can drive in the mountains on weekends you will likely will not be driving very fast. I live in these areas you speak of. if you plan on keeping your truck's emission system stock than I honestly don't think for longevity the DPF system will like the slow speed, low heat and idles of using it like that.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Based on your intended use of the truck, especially considering short trips and no towing needs, my opinion would be to go with gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It seems like you are considering a new vehicle but given the choices of engines and short trips you either have diesel emissions issues or high cost of fuel. if I remember correctly the 6.4 will require premium at a higher cost. Neither seem palatable to me especially around where I live premium sells for 50 cents a gallon more than regular.
    Given what you are doing I personally would opt for a 2001 or 2002 2500 5.9 Cummins 2nd gen with a 5 or 6 speed manual if you can find a decent one. With a few legal tweaks you would have great fuel mileage, legendary reliability, more power than you would need, no emissions and all the options for upgrades you could ever consider. You would have more money for upgrades with the lower purchase cost of the vehicle. It may seem odd to consider a nearly 20 year old truck but I owned a 2001 5 speed and I wish I still had it. Best truck I ever owned. Just my .02

2024 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4l Hemi
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

12. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I am not sure you need a 2500 based on the description. A 1500 or mid size probably would be a better fit. However, if your set on a 2500 get the gas. Why:

Not towing or hauling heavy. Have frequent short trips. It is not realistic to expect 20mpg on the highway empty in a 7500lb truck. Yes some individuals state high mileage numbers, but with big tires, bumper, winch it is not likely. In the past three diesel trucks and 300k, I have seen 20mpg for one tank. Realistically it is 12-18mpg empty and idle dependent. With a load 8-14mpg. Is it going to be better than a Hemi, yes but not going offset the increase cost in maintenance under 150k miles.

I would anticipate problems with the emissions systems within the warranty period due to short trips and no load. If modifying is your thing add another 4K to your price for analysis of gas vs diesel. Then expect to have no powertrain warranty.

2018 srw 3500

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7, Aboshan liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well I have had 4 Cummins this last 14 years.

The only reason i have a Diesel is to pull my Toy hauler coast to coast every year.

My Diesel just sits weeks at a time.

I drive my 2015 GMC 2500 Gas to work daily.

Not to rip my Cummins but after 5 years in my GMC it has Never tripped a CEL or ever had a single problem.

Oh my bad just put a new Serpentine belt on.

Only because my belt had a slight cherp on damp days LOL.

Go Gas and drive the $hit out of it and get way more options without the added cost of a Diesel option.

Besides If your not towing the Hemi will blow the doors off a stock Deisel LOL.

Don't ask me how I know this JMHO.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hey folks,

Thanks

I enjoy gas rigs but nothing will ever compare to a diesel. I have switched a couple times and regretted after about 6 months and went straight back LOL.

If you are looking for the ride of a gas rig i can help you with that as im a leading Thuren Dealer and can spec out the perfect suspension components for that buttery smooth ride. You can easily make the 2500 cummins a truck that is capable off road but it is a little on the expensive side to do it correctly.

As far as idling on the trails and everything you may run into some issues but as long as you drive it how you are supposed to every so often and get it on the freeway for a bit giving it time to burn out some of the soot i think you will be fine. Don't be afraid to drive it like you stole it either every so often to keep everything free and clear from any soot build up. Most of the issues i see are from those that do short trips and have excessive idle times so just save yourself the headache and drive that thing hard every so often.

As far as the extra weight of the tires and wheels i think it will get old on how it shifts alot to get up to speed and depending on how big you go you may never see the overdrive gear LOL. That being said everyone is different and may think the complete opposite.

Yes diesels are more expensive but when you think about it what is the cost of a diesel compared to how much you are going to spend on the trips and decking out the truck itself haha. If you can do the maintenance yourself it wont' be as bad of a hit. The resale value is much better as well for a diesel or at least around where i live.

As far as the fuel tank you can always do a direct replacement from say s&B or Titan that way you don't have to get rid of the spare and or fill up your bed.

In the end its up to you and what your gut tells you. Also get what you want the first time unless you have money to throw away trying to sell it to get into something you should have gotten first LOL. It's not cheap buying and selling these things what so ever as im sure you are aware.

Holler at me via pm or email and if you have some more questions and i will be more then happy to help ya out as well as share some experiences with you.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post