Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: '89 VE Pump Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

'89 VE Pump Question

Hey y'all, quick question that I'm sure has a pretty easy answer.

I have an '89 with a bone stock 12 valve in it that I'm trying to give some TLC. The stock VE pump that's on it has definitely seen better days and the previous owner (from what I can tell) tried to upgrade the fuel pin and didn't do a great job with it. That on top of some leaks on various mating surfaces is making me look into buying a new pump. I'm not going for big HP numbers or anything on this truck, but I'm looking between the Industrial Injection remanufactured pump (https://www.xtremediesel.com/industr...injection-pump) and the performance one (https://www.xtremediesel.com/industr...injection-pump) that already has the governor spring and fuel pin upgrade done.

Now, the question that I can't seem to figure out is why the performance pump says it should be used on intercooled trucks only. Being the OG 12 valve that my truck is, it doesn't have an intercooler. But, why would a slightly upgraded VE pump require an intercooler? I'm sure slightly bigger injectors will be added down the road, but in the mean time I can't figure out what the problem would be with adding a little more fuel to the engine and not having an intercooler for the turbo. I do have the BD turbine housing to put on the truck to help it spool faster, so if air is really a concern I feel like that's going to help at least a little bit.

Am I overlooking something simple with the "intercooler required" thing or is this just the company's way of protecting themselves if some kid says he broke something after putting a new VE pump in? Sorry if links to products are frowned upon, I'm definitely not trying to advertise by any means. Just wanted to let y'all know what products I'm looking at.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: '89 VE Pump Question

I'm not sure what the difference is in intercooled vs non, all those trucks where 160 HP.

Stay away from Industrial Injection, they just screwed me on some common rail injectors.

If you would like a recommendation on where to send your pump PM me.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post