Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Suspension

New member although have read many forums l/post on this site. 2017 Ram 3500 Megacab My problem being Bilstein 5162 level coils and res shocks 5160s. They have failed me twice now. They don’t wanna help to much now I live in northern BC Canada gets cold up here maybe some of the problem. Both rear shocks seals dropped out first time. Sent new ones out no problem. Problem being 2 months later and the rear is destroyed already and the front ones the seals have fallen out. (Cold weather maybe) Bilstein not so helpful the second time rather send me a check for a different brand. Now the question is there coils seem to be stiffer then what fox says I should run with there shocks.Anyone know what I can run without changing coils I just don’t have the cash at the moment for a replacement setup oil patch is slow right now. Thanks any suggestions appreciate.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Suspension

This is the rear first go around

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

This is the second time around.

Attached Images Attached Images

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If there is pitting or corrosion on the rods that will cause seals to go quick.

I live in northern Idaho and I run fox shocks and I run boots on them to keep the salt and mag chloride from pitting the shafts and eating the seals.

As far as springs.

I'm not sure.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

These are not even 2 months old.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mucka View Post
    New member although have read many forums l/post on this site. 2017 Ram 3500 Megacab My problem being Bilstein 5162 level coils and res shocks 5160s. They have failed me twice now. They don’t wanna help to much now I live in northern BC Canada gets cold up here maybe some of the problem. Both rear shocks seals dropped out first time. Sent new ones out no problem. Problem being 2 months later and the rear is destroyed already and the front ones the seals have fallen out. (Cold weather maybe) Bilstein not so helpful the second time rather send me a check for a different brand. Now the question is there coils seem to be stiffer then what fox says I should run with there shocks.Anyone know what I can run without changing coils I just don’t have the cash at the moment for a replacement setup oil patch is slow right now. Thanks any suggestions appreciate.
    Welcome friend

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mucka View Post
    These are not even 2 months old.
    I have seen shocks pit and corrode in just a few weeks if you live in snow country or in coastal areas. Best you can do is probably replace them again with what you have . Or a set of bilstein 5100s put on boots and wrap shock body in tight clear contact paper to keep looking nice. If you dont care about the body and looks you can always repaint body. But protecting the rod is very important in harsh conditions where de icer is used on roads. Weather temp should have no problem on shocks as the oil wont freeze and the nitrogen well it would have to be -320 to affect it at all.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

13. Thanks Murph, watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Welcome @Mucka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah I’ve given up with Bilstein but I don’t wanna change the coils from there kit if I can help it just looking for an alternative shock I can run with the coils fox is telling me Bilstein coils are about 35% stiffer.

16. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Mucka

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast