Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: SD card failure and weird tune??

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

SD card failure and weird tune??

Ok, I’ll try to explain this.

last Friday I went to start the truck for the morning warmup. I got a message on the MM3 indicating the real-time tune failed to load and the last key on tune would load. Not in these exact words.

I then got a fault 20004 saying the SD card files couldn’t load.

the background of the MM3 is gray now instead of the American flag background, but all the gauge settings are there and working. I can navigate the MM3 but can’t access the novelty tunes ( whistle, lope, 12v, normal) it appears I can adjust power settings but I haven’t changed from the 5 setting.

here’s what’s weird. The truck is running with ALOT more power than it was previously with the “normal” sound setting tune in setting 5. It now Sounds different, and makes A lot of pre-boost black smoke. It feels a lot more powerful!

question is, what tune did it default to when the SD card became un-readable to the MM3? As much as I need to fix the SD card issue, I kind of like the way it’s running, which is completely different than it was before the SD card went out.

ive researched but can’t find anything

2017 Ram Laramie Megacab 2500, 8" Lift.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie. Lots of work done.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: SD card failure and weird tune??

Quote Originally Posted by James Ruth View Post

last Friday I went to start the truck for the morning warmup. I got a message on the MM3 indicating the real-time tune failed to load and the last key on tune would load. Not in these exact words.

the background of the MM3 is gray now instead of the American flag background, but all the gauge settings are there and working. I can navigate the MM3 but can’t access the novelty tunes ( whistle, lope, 12v, normal) it appears I can adjust power settings but I haven’t changed from the 5 setting.

here’s what’s weird. The truck is running with ALOT more power than it was previously with the “normal” sound setting tune in setting 5. It now Sounds different, and makes A lot of pre-boost black smoke. It feels a lot more powerful!

question is, what tune did it default to when the SD card became un-readable to the MM3? As much as I need to fix the SD card issue, I kind of like the way it’s running, which is completely different than it was before the SD card went out.

Check your batteries. Sounds like they are weak. Take the SD card out and insert it back in, unplug and plug your OBD port back in and reload your tunes. Just make sure your batteries are fully charged. Keep us informed what you find.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks James Ruth thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, James Ruth, Aboshan liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Check your batteries. Sounds like they are weak. Take the SD card out and insert it back in, unplug and plug your OBD port back in and reload your tunes. Just make sure your batteries are fully charged. Keep us informed what you find.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    you got it. I’ll check tomorrow!

2017 Ram Laramie Megacab 2500, 8" Lift.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie. Lots of work done.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I've had an SD card get corrupted before, but it did not affect the tune at all. Whatever "switch" tune you had loaded at shutdown is still stored in the ECM.

It's my understanding that the "switch" level edits a portion of your ECM's ROM... so it's always there until you manually change it, and the "rtg" files are only temporary, stored in the ECM's RAM.

I don't run sound tunes or any other real-time files.

Maybe @DRD can explain what is happening in your case.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Ruth View Post

With switch tunes, if the SD card fails, the HP level stays were you last have it set.

Same thing applies if the tuner is unplugged or quits working.

As mentioned above, switch HP levels are programmed into the ROM and are always there no matter what.

All you need is the tuner or a CSP style switch to change power levels.

It's the RT stuff that requires a working SD to function.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

20200204_123425.jpg

20200204_123437.jpg

I just wanted to tell people also if u have intermittent power on and off of the monitor my cable ended up being no good with the lock tabs and Dirk at MM3 hooked me up with a new one right away.

Awesome customer service there.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

11. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Did you update your SD card with MM3 updater?

I had SD card problems after I used the MM3 updater.

Even after formatting the SD card and reloading the problem persisted.

To fix the problem, I bought a new SD card and simply copy /pasted all the files from the corrupt SD to the new card.

I believe the problem is with the updater.

Not sure if my anti virus software had anything to do with it or not.

I will say that once the SD card becomes corrupted you wont be able to use it with the MM3 unit again.

I tried with 3 different cards before buying a new one.

Let us know if this fixes the problem for you.

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post