Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: High idle mode

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

High idle mode

Last night I fired up the truck and set the high idle feature to help warm up the cab. For S and G’s I also activated the automatic exhaust brake. Upon doing so I heard the brake engage while in high idle mode. I turned it off and heard the exhaust tone change back to normal. Just wondering if it’s supposed to function like that and if so why would you want to engage the exhaust brake while in high idle mode? Thanks.

2. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: High idle mode

High idle starts around 1150 I believe and you can turn it up till about 1450 or so. The exhaust brake engages above 1100 RPM if I'm not mistaken, so having both on would engage the exhaust brake. High idle helps against wet stacking if you're idling for long periods, not sure if the having the exhaust brake on as well would help fight it by making the engine work harder. Would also heat up the engine faster if you're in a cold climiate.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philadave19030 View Post
    Last night I fired up the truck and set the high idle feature to help warm up the cab. For S and G’s I also activated the automatic exhaust brake. Upon doing so I heard the brake engage while in high idle mode. I turned it off and heard the exhaust tone change back to normal. Just wondering if it’s supposed to function like that and if so why would you want to engage the exhaust brake while in high idle mode? Thanks.
    Assists with warming the engine up quicker...

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

5. Thanks BlackBart, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies.

I just wasn’t sure why the exhaust brake would be allowed to engage and if so if would cause any damage.

7. Thanks cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

What Watersupply said.

I've been doing it since the truck was new with 0 problems.

Sinister Diesel oil bypass

9. Thanks cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philadave19030 View Post
    Once yer deleted, if ya does it that is, youll hear turbo whistle with that. Its normal, just part of the game for VGTs.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

11. Thanks cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Sounds like a plan thanks guys.

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post