Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating rant / Noob with problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Frustrating rant / Noob with problems

1st problem, I recently purchased a 2009 3500 4WD DRW. I have mostly dealt with older models with 12v and 24v so 6.7 was already new to me but, I enjoy a challenge. I had people mention deletes and such but never put much to it until I researched more.

I will be careful as to what information I put in an open post but the truck I purchased had already had some "exhaust work" done to it.

The problem is the previous owner had put a programmer on it obviously to keep this from throwing codes. When it was traded in or whatever he either kept the programmer or dealership removed it. Now every time I get on the throttle it throws either a high or low hard code which I have to keep resetting with my scan-tool. If I don't reset it I cannot use my remote start which here where it's cold, plus diesel, plus newborn baby makes it a pain as I like to warm the cab before I transfer her to and from. This I can live with for now as I work towards a solution. Have reached out to some people and realize what all I am going to need. Bought a used programmer off FB sell site and now realize I almost paid full price for what one sells for ready to be tuned. I still have to buy a vin code then buy tunes which ends up being the price of a new one ready to go. Should have just done that in hindsight. Plus it was missing the pyro probe half of the wiring and usb cord. Got a cord off Amazon and rigged a pyro probe to maybe work??? .....so I count my pennies and wait for w-2's to come in the mail for the rest of what I need. Single dad taking care of two girls def gotta put them first, especially formula being $20 a tote. Milk replacer on the farm for calves is $80 for a 50 lb bag, I wonder what the difference is...LOL.

Other problem, I can't say for sure but ultimately it was around the same time I hooked up my dad's trailer I suddenly lost my drives side marker lights in the tail and dually fender. I have read about every forum I can find and everything pointed to the TIPM needing re-flashed as trailer lights are notorious for throwing it out.

Talked with dealership and a good tech and he doesn't feel it is the TIPM, wasn't trying to sell me a new one like I hear most do, just didn't wanna see me waste the money having it re-flashed for no reason. I have checked the bulb, changed the bulb, swapped left and right bulbs all with same conclusion. I have a brake and and marker light on right tail, both marker lights work on right dually fender. I have a brake light on left tail and no marker light on tail or marker lights on dually fender? I tested the 7-way with a multi-meter and I have juice to the marker lights pole, but that doesn't tell me if it is getting juice from both right and left or just the right is coming through so not a definitive help. Both fuses in TIPM for left and right marker are good (not blown) even swapped them to check.

Anyone who can offer any help or just make me laugh at this point, I could use it.

Thanks!

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Frustrating rant / Noob with problems

Check connections.

If any are done with pinch connectors they get corroded over time and all sorts of weird stuff happens.

I have had head banging pi$$ed off moments trying to chase down bad connections with the blue pinch connectors.

They seem to be really bad in cold weather country were the use salt, mag chloride, for de icer.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I understand your grief. (Dad with 3 small children and now full time student) mabee someone here can offer a source leading to an all inclusive lighting wiring schematic pertinent to your truck? If so you could follow the schematic to the first union of all the lighting power wires you have lost. Is it possible that each of these lights use a common ground?

2016 ram 2500 hd slt mega-cab cummins g-56 (metallic gray pearlcoat or something of the sort) deleted and custom tuned by Ray (the king) @ doublerdiesel on mm3 platform with 5" turbo back exhaust by flo-pro & DD valair organic clutch
    looking for 30,000 gpm injectors @ a fair price btw LOL

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I disn't see any pinch connectors or butt connectors.

Everything seems factory snap plugs. 7 way wasn't corroded and has a hinged cover over it.

There was a four flat plug attached to wiring tucked under reese. It was pretty corroded. Cleaned it all off and all test good at that. Does anyone know where the main connection is under bed or cab?

I just find it weird to be a short suddenly and just one side.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Not sure about these new trucks but in most cases couldnt you test continuity to chassis or ground from one side of bulb socket? Or power? Although some of these do monitor resistance when powered

2016 ram 2500 hd slt mega-cab cummins g-56 (metallic gray pearlcoat or something of the sort) deleted and custom tuned by Ray (the king) @ doublerdiesel on mm3 platform with 5" turbo back exhaust by flo-pro & DD valair organic clutch

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

What are the specific diagnostic codes you are seeing?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

This is one of them:

14. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gobig View Post
    This is one of them:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9c67f1e102.jpg

See attached for information. Are you seeing any “B” codes on your lighting issues? P0489.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    See attached for information. Are you seeing any “B” codes on your lighting issues? P0489.pdf

It's a bird... it's a plane... its Ak Bob to the rescue.

18. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Not sure about 09 but the 05 era trucks have this little circuit board thing in that tail lights that is very problematic.

Causes strange lighting issues.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...lVehicle=false

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast