Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Driveshaft Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Driveshaft Questions

I've got a 2018 CC 2500 4x4.

I pulled the driveshaft yesterday to get some of the rust off of the input shaft to the transfer case.

Got it all cleaned up and applied grease to the outside before I reinstalled it.

I've got 2 questions.

1. Does the driveshaft have to be timed?

I matched it up to the pinion flange with how it came off but the TC was in neutral and not positive it was in the exact same spot.

2. Al,so what is the torque spec for the 4 bolts?

I found a thread that had 85 ft/lb listed but not sure that's what they were talking about.

Thanks.

2. Thanks Chris_24V thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, Chris_24V liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Driveshaft Questions

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    I've got a 2018 CC 2500 4x4.

I pulled the driveshaft yesterday to get some of the rust off of the input shaft to the transfer case.

Got it all cleaned up and applied grease to the outside before I reinstalled it.

I've got 2 questions.

1. Does the driveshaft have to be timed?

I matched it up to the pinion flange with how it came off but the TC was in neutral and not positive it was in the exact same spot.

2. Al,so what is the torque spec for the 4 bolts?

I found a thread that had 85 ft/lb listed but not sure that's what they were talking about.

Thanks.
    I thought I remembered the driveshaft and output shaft of the trans were both splined in such a way that they could only go back together in one orientation. If not, you should be fine to just stick it back in there and not worry about it. I’ve had mine in and out a couple of times with no vibration issues. Correct on the torque for the companion flange bolts at pinion. The factory had loctite on them so I’ve always reapplied the medium strength when reassembling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Thanks watersupply189, Chris_24V thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks. It is splined on the front and has a groove about two splines wide inside the yoke. I think that is done because the outside is bigger around and if it were splined all the way around it would have more splines. May be a vent to allow lube from the TC to keep the splines lubed? I have not driven it yet but I can’t see where it should matter. Thanks again

6. Thanks Chris_24V thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Chris_24V liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Worked fine.

No problems or vibration.

8. Thanks Chris_24V thanked for this post