Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.7L Cummins Problems?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

6.7L Cummins Problems?

Don't get the wrong idea. I love Cummins. I have owned three dodges (2002 2500 w/Cummins, 2004 2500 w/Cummins, and 2006 3500 with Cummins. But I also like Ford. I refuse to buy Government Motors ever. I currently have a 2011 6.7 Scorpion and I am pretty pleased with it. So... let me get to the point.

All of my Cummins ran on the 5.9L which is legendary. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the 6.7L on the Dodge. But maybe that was just the first couple of years. Maybe it is great now. Anybody driving a 2012 or 2013 "Ram" (stupid...should have left it Dodge) one ton with the Cummins I want to hear from you. Tell me the honest truth please. I'm not a brand lover as my name suggests. I just refuse GM on principle. Plus I refuse to pay for a truck twice (bailout and when you buy it). Pretty easy to make a great truck with free money huh? Dead company for me.

I am thinking of buying a Cummins again. But I don't want to deal with the problems that the 6.7 is known for (trying to meet emission standards). Please tell me your experience with the 2012 or 2013 Dodge Cummins?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

First welcome to the community.

Second don't get a 2013.

Stupid EPA garbage on them.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Likes Thomas1960 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

6.7's are OK. I had one, the injectors are very unforgiving. My problem was with the Air Dog.

Deleted correctly, those horror stories are invalid. The ones that complain don't listen to us old pros. I was one of the delete pioneers.

I got mine up to 23 MPG consistent and there wasn't much that could keep up with me

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes nasty Longhorn, Thomas1960 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Funny you should say that. I was about to use the DPF delete on my Ford. But this WILL void my warranty. I asked a Ford tech who actually liked me (knew my parents who are drawing social security and are at that not too far from eternal rest) and he said yep. We will know you did it regardless of trying to hide it in the log files and the warranty on your motor will be null and void right there. So I know there is a way around it (would like to straight pipe too). So I'm inclined to go with IGOTACUMMINS advice just based on the warranty factor. I don't have the money to replace the parts. Just my truck was $50k used. That has to be the most I have ever paid for a vehicle. So the fear is there. Thank you for the welcome. Is it possible for me to post pictures of my Ford here? I realize it's not a Cummins but it is a wicked *** Ford. 6" lift. Toyos. Long box. Black. Black wheels. They typical setup we all see.

Here is another thing. My wife takes my truck camping without me. I can't have her calling me and bitching me out because she is broke down. Best to abandon Cummins now and wait? I know they will fix it and another 5.9 equivalent with much more power will surface. Maybe I just wait.

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Polaraco what year was yours? Not like a 2007 right? I went to Dave Smith (worlds largest Dodge Dealer and thats no lie...they have lot upon lot) and the sales guy flat out told me do not buy 2007 through 2009. They will actually set the entire thing up online. Pick you up at the airport. You sign and drive. Custom order and they will call when it's there. Pretty cool because it applies to the entire nation and here in Idaho we are most certainly Dodge country.

IGOTACUMMINS if I get a 2012 will I have the same problem?

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by truck_whore View Post
    Polaraco what year was yours? Not like a 2007 right? I went to Dave Smith (worlds largest Dodge Dealer and thats no lie...they have lot upon lot) and the sales guy flat out told me do not buy 2007 through 2009. They will actually set the entire thing up online. Pick you up at the airport. You sign and drive. Custom order and they will call when it's there. Pretty cool because it applies to the entire nation and here in Idaho we are most certainly Dodge country.

IGOTACUMMINS if I get a 2012 will I have the same problem?
    Sounds like they are making too much money.

That sales guy is BSing you. He is forcing you into a more expensive truck. I sold Rams for a while. I know the new and used tricks.

Mine was an 08. As far as refinements are concerned you'd do good with an 09.

My formula?
    H & S Mini or Black
    Cat Back 4"
    Shibby Engineering
    Grid heater delete and
    stage 2 air horn
    Boost tube
    S & B intake
    Flex-a-lite electric fans
    Fass 150

Find a nice one and save the bucks. They're out there. Screw Dave Smith. I got a great deal from a little guy in Chicago. I traded my 08 for an 03 RWD. Exactly what I wanted all along. I love it

How rude of me. WELCOME

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

6.7 cummins has a lot less issues than ford has had with the 6.7 powerstroke. Take a look under each hood and you'll see why

10. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd91 View Post
    6.7 cummins has a lot less issues than ford has had with the 6.7 powerstroke. Take a look under each hood and you'll see why
    I think you misunderstood me. I did not come here to compare brands. I just explained what I have owned. I came here for honest advice from mature people who have experience. I'm not out to say one is better than the other. I think they are really all pretty close and the people who want to engage in the brand wars are just a waste of time. Plenty happy with my 6.7. You can try to convince me it's junk until your blue in the face but I tow with it. I work it. And like I say, never a problem. So please. Lets not get into the infantile crap like this. It's the stuff flame wars are made of and I really don't want that.

I wanted to talk to people who have a 2013 or 2012 "ram" truck w/cummins motor. 2013 has a thumbs down.

As for the price go price brand new loaded PSDs. Now stick a six inch lift on it. Now the 37" toyos and bigger wheels. I got the truck in 2012. It was one year old and wasn't even broke in. I see brand new trucks with no extras for the same price. I have bought six diesel trucks. I didn't just start guys. Brand new Dodges have gone up in recent years too. They are more expensive than they were when I bought mine.

11. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I would even go as far as to say people make up fake accounts and claim there are problems when there are not (regardless of what truck you have...it's big money now. I mean a lot of this information we read comes from a forum. Not a official source. I have read about class action suits on the Cummins 6.7 but it is not all years. 07.5 to 09. Thats a pretty good record I think. But that is what I would expect. And Ford has had it's share of litigation as well. The Duramax has also faced class action suits. My point is anybody who gets up and claims what they have is the ultimate (outside 5.9 owners) are FOS. OH yeah. And the 7.3L PSD.

13. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

That's an honest opinion. I'm not sure why you are so worried about the 6.7 cummins when it has a better track record than the 6.7 ps and has had longer to work the bugs out. I never tried to convince you the PS is junk, I was very happy with how well the tuned one I've driven ran. I'm still not convinced of the longevity of the design, there are just too many things to go wrong.
    I've done a little work on the 6.7 PS and it was a PITA getting around under the hood. I've done a bit more on 6.7 cummins and have really enjoyed them, especially when deleted and/or modified. I have not worked with 2012 or 2013 rams, but I here very good things on interior and build quality. The main difference with the 2013 will be the urea, which some view as a nuisance, but you should already be used to. If you use a 6.7 cummins like a truck (towing, etc.) you should get many trouble free miles out of it bone stock. Eventually you will have trouble with the emissions equipment, but likely not until or after the 100k mile mark. The injectors in the 6.7 are a better design than the common rail 5.9 injectors, though they can still be prone the failure like any common rail injector. The most important thing for then is well filtered fuel.

14. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast