Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  72
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aisin Trans 2nd-3rd Hard Shift after Pulling?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Aisin Trans 2nd-3rd Hard Shift after Pulling?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Just wondering if a quick learn would help (resetting the Clutch Volume Index).

I see Alfa OBD has a transmission quick learn option listed, but I don’t know if it’s just for the 68RFE or working with the Aisin.

The other option would be a trip to the dealership.

Hopefully, others will chime in.

Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I checked out the Alfa OBD app.

Running the demo version, it does cover the AISIN trans, but only up until 2017.

It may work on my 2018, but since it would cost me $150.00 + to get the Alfa software and the OBD2 interface.

I will probably have the dealer force a re-learn and see if that works.

2018 Tradesman Long bed - 56K Miles - Aisin Transmission

2. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Well, here we go.

I went to the dealer today, and the service advisor was a RAM mechanic for 15 years before becoming an SA.

We had quite a chat, and I can't thank him enough for the time and information.

I have a 2018 3500 long bed with the Aisin. He has seen hundreds of these and heard the same hard shifting issues and the overzealous engine braking on deceleration. In his opinion, unless you are towing max weight all the time, the Aisin is not for you.

The Aisin is designed and built for towing weight. It does not do well without a load.

The hard shifting without a load is just the way it operates.

If I were to 're-learn, (which he would do for $ 150.00), it would be back to the way it is now within two weeks.

Re-learn is only for transmissions that have had internal work done.

For 25% of the time, I tow 8K lbs, and I should have gotten the 68RFE.

They have a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out to update the transmission.

I told him I had a tuner on the engine.

He was okay with that; however, part of the TSB update is that he needs to flash the PCM (Trans and Engine), and if I re-flash the tunes, he said the trans would perform as it is today for a short period.

He also stated that he has never seen an internal failure of the AISIN caused by over horsepower.

I run at 0 additional horsepower.

So even though my AISIN sounds like it is coming apart on some shifts, he said it wasn't.

He also stated that there are no aftermarket tunes for the AISIN, only for the 68RFE.

As I see it, I can continue to run the Aisin until it fails. Replace with a rebuilt, heavy-duty AISIN, or replace with a 68RFE that is tunable.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QualityMike View Post
    Well, here we go.

I went to the dealer today, and the service advisor was a RAM mechanic for 15 years before becoming an SA.

We had quite a chat, and I can't thank him enough for the time and information.

I have a 2018 3500 long bed with the Aisin. He has seen hundreds of these and heard the same hard shifting issues and the overzealous engine braking on deceleration. In his opinion, unless you are towing max weight all the time, the Aisin is not for you.

The Aisin is designed and built for towing weight. It does not do well without a load.

The hard shifting without a load is just the way it operates.

If I were to 're-learn, (which he would do for $ 150.00), it would be back to the way it is now within two weeks.

Re-learn is only for transmissions that have had internal work done.

For 25% of the time, I tow 8K lbs, and I should have gotten the 68RFE.

They have a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out to update the transmission.

I told him I had a tuner on the engine.

He was okay with that; however, part of the TSB update is that he needs to flash the PCM (Trans and Engine), and if I re-flash the tunes, he said the trans would perform as it is today for a short period.

He also stated that he has never seen an internal failure of the AISIN caused by over horsepower.

I run at 0 additional horsepower.

So even though my AISIN sounds like it is coming apart on some shifts, he said it wasn't.

He also stated that there are no aftermarket tunes for the AISIN, only for the 68RFE.

As I see it, I can continue to run the Aisin until it fails. Replace with a rebuilt, heavy-duty AISIN, or replace with a 68RFE that is tunable.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
    All I can say is there must be a big difference between my 2014 Aisin and the 2018 units.

I have been running mine with plus 90HP around town not towing for the last two years.

Shifts very smoothly with zero problems.

I have owned since new and changed the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles or 24 months.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    All I can say is there must be a big difference between my 2014 Aisin and the 2018 units.

I have been running mine with plus 90HP around town not towing for the last two years.

Shifts very smoothly with zero problems.

I have owned since new and changed the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles or 24 months.

Do you have the AS68 or the AS69 Aisin trans?

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

To be specific, there was an AS68RC, and then they updated to what I have, an AS69RC Aisin Trans.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I may try the 30hp tow tune when I haul my travel trailer next and see if that makes a difference.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Do you have the AS68 or the AS69 Aisin trans?
    I have a 2014, 3500 with the 6-Spd Auto Aisin AS69RC HD Transmission.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Thanks QualityMike, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

I may try the 30hp tow tune when I haul my travel trailer next and see if that makes a difference.
    I always use the 30 HP tune when towing my 14K toy hauler 5th wheel.

16. Thanks QualityMike, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Learned a lot over the past few days.

Took my Aisin to have it serviced by a guy who not only races on road, but builds off road 800 hp transmissions and everything in between. He has been servicing and rebuilding transmissions for 40 years.
    In his opinion, the Aisin is the most reliable heavy duty pickup transmission available today. Followed closely by Allison. The 68RFE is a very good transmission, but compared to the first 2, is a distant 3rd.

In 15 years of servicing the Aisin, he has not seen a single failure from normal use. The only failure he saw was a guy who towed his Aisin heavy all the time and only brought the transmission in after 250,00 miles. Never having a service on the trans done before the failure. There were some issues.

After speaking with the gentleman for the time that they were servicing my trans, I came away with a different way of operating my truck.

I changed the tune from 0 RT to 1 Stock. I then began driving it more like a truck than a car. Not aggressively, but more deliberate. Since then, I have had no issues with the hard, slamming into gear, shifts.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

18. Thanks Swedauto thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

I know this is an older post, but figured I'd share some info on my 2018 Aisin should someone else find this through search just as I did.

I originally purchased a 21 3500 and had numerous issues stock. The truck overall felt like it was built during the last 15 minutes of a shift right when they found just enough parts laying around to build 1 more truck. Issues popped up by the day but the Aisin specifically had a mind of its own. Hard shifts, delayed shifts, refusal to down shift...you name it. One afternoon the wife and I was traveling on I-70 and just about got ran over by a big rig since the truck would not respond. I had enough and got rid of it.

I started searching around for a 2018 since it was the last year of the 4th Gen and fortunately found a 18 3500 with 725 original miles. I was hesitant at first because it also had an Aisin, but I looked into it deeper since it was basically still a brand new truck. Wow, was I blown away! The transmission shifts smooth, is always in the right gear, and is extremely predictable with zero hesitation! It literally performs in the complete opposite way that the Aisin has a reputation for. It was built 10/17 so it was one of the first 2018 models to come off the line. Im not sure what firmware the transmission has but I guarantee if they all performed this way it would be the go to trans for most. I wish there was a way for someone to copy my tune so others could enjoy the same.

I purchased tunes from DRD right after buying the truck but haven't installed them yet as I wanted to put a few miles on the truck to make sure no issues surfaced. It now have close to 3K miles so Im gearing up to do the delete sometime over the next few weeks. Im deleting for longevity so Im planning to stick with the 30hp tune. Im praying the trans maintains the same performance once the delete is completed.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast