Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  72
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aisin Trans 2nd-3rd Hard Shift after Pulling?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Aisin Trans 2nd-3rd Hard Shift after Pulling?

So long story short I had some initial issues after installing my delete which were 100% caused by me.

Shout out to Ray for responding quick and helping set me on the right track to alleviate my screw ups haha.

With that being said the initial shifting was a little odd as the trans got used to the delete, but nothing too alarming. After pulling my tractor my shifts from 2-3rd became unbearable. It felt like the truck was coming apart unless you really stayed hard into the throttle during shift change with or without the trailer on the truck.

Last Friday I took the truck to the dealer, and had them put the trans into re-learn, and after I left the dealer it shifted like butter. I then pulled my tractor and mower about 60 miles round trip with little to no issue.

Fast forward to today, I pulled my dump trailer hauling my tractor and concrete debris, and had to get into the throttle to merge with traffic, and now the hard shift seems to be back between 2-3 however not quite as bad. Is this due to me pulling with the truck while the transmission is still learning?

I hate to go to the dealer and drop another $150 but if I have to so be it, I am taking the truck on about a 2000 mile trip over the next week and would like the trans issue to be resolved.

Thanks for any advice yall may have.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Aisin Trans 2nd-3rd Hard Shift after Pulling?

So an update to the whole situation. I ended up taking my truck to the dealer to have another relearn performed on the transmission. After that I ran the truck on the 0 setting through out my 2800mi road trip with no issue. After I got home I had some jobs to complete that required me pulling my tractor and dump trailer (a little over 10,000lbs) and low and behold the hard shift is back again. I am at my wits end with this truck. I seriously regret ever deleting it as I had zero issues with the performance of the truck before hand, I only deleted as a precautionary measure of the def system. If anyone has any advice I would be extremely thankful as I am having a hard time figuring out what is the cause of this.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Seanyacc liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polkchop View Post
    So an update to the whole situation. I ended up taking my truck to the dealer to have another relearn performed on the transmission. After that I ran the truck on the 0 setting through out my 2800mi road trip with no issue. After I got home I had some jobs to complete that required me pulling my tractor and dump trailer (a little over 10,000lbs) and low and behold the hard shift is back again. I am at my wits end with this truck. I seriously regret ever deleting it as I had zero issues with the performance of the truck before hand, I only deleted as a precautionary measure of the def system. If anyone has any advice I would be extremely thankful as I am having a hard time figuring out what is the cause of this.
    Hate your having issues with the Aisin. Shame there isn’t a transmission tune for it.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I only did a 30HP bump on mine and don't experience any problem(s) as you describe.

I know when she is cold that the 3 - 4 shift flares a bit, but once warm all shifting is great!

Curious, what year is your truck?

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by Polkchop View Post
    TSB 21-001-20.pdf

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

I had the same issue on my 3500 SRW Aisin. Here is how I fixed mine.
    1. Find a long dry flat road.
    2. Come to a complete stop, make sure to do this with no load or trailer, tune 0, traction control off. Tranny at 150-165
    if you leave traction control on it will not fix your problem.
    3. Turn on Tow/haul mode and full exhaust brake.
    4. Stab the petal let it eat till it shifts threw all gears full throttle
    5. Once you have achieved 6th gear you let off fully, never touching the brake.
    6. let her downshift all the way to a complete stop.

Repeat process twice, if those 2 pulls don't fix it, do it 2 more times.

It took 4 pulls to fix mine, haven't had any problems since. My buddy only needed 2 pulls to fix his.

After this process your truck WILL NOT shift the same, it turns into another animal.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtc318 View Post
    I had the same issue on my 3500 SRW Aisin. Here is how I fixed mine.
    1. Find a long dry flat road.
    2. Come to a complete stop, make sure to do this with no load or trailer, tune 0, traction control off. Tranny at 150-165
    if you leave traction control on it will not fix your problem.
    3. Turn on Tow/haul mode and full exhaust brake.
    4. Stab the petal let it eat till it shifts threw all gears full throttle
    5. Once you have achieved 6th gear you let off fully, never touching the brake.
    6. let her downshift all the way to a complete stop.

Repeat process twice, if those 2 pulls don't fix it, do it 2 more times.

It took 4 pulls to fix mine, haven't had any problems since. My buddy only needed 2 pulls to fix his.

After this process your truck WILL NOT shift the same, it turns into another animal.
    How did you figure this out?

And how does your truck shift now?

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WHITE RHINO View Post
    How did you figure this out? And how does your truck shift now?
    You can also watch paul at PD diesel on YouTube.

He explains this exact process.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

The truck is a 2016. And thanks for the info on the TSB, I may give it a try if nothing else works.

I just cant figure out why putting weight behind the truck is what is triggering the shift issues.

And why did it start after the delete.

I just want my truck to shift like normal and I'd be thrilled.

Thanks for the advice Bigtc.

I will try that tomorrow when I get off in the morning and see how it does.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

So another update.

I tried to do the process described by BigTc and had zero success.

I also changed the trans filter, and fluid then tried the process another 5 times with no success.

I am at a complete loss.

I don't know what to try next.

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast