Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Calling Towing / Recovery Pros

1. Top Of Page | #1

Calling Towing / Recovery Pros

I want to better help pull random vehicles from snow banks etc.around home.

My question is which grade 70 bridle combo is best for most passenger cars without recovery points?

I'm thinking 3' on each bridle leg with 8" J hooks, and not sure if the mini J, T, or R is most useful, all grade 70.

I'm experienced in off-road winching, and experienced with rigging of tree saver straps, kinetic ropes, nylon tow straps, and have even sinned with non rates chains on tow ***** before I knew better. I know better than to rip a bumper off or destroy control arms,etc and am very aware of when to call the pros. Also aware of legal issues involved.

I'm in a big winter area and can help a few stuck folks.

A side note is I carry double sets of most gear and hardware because lots of truck guys don't even have a receiver pin, let alone other proper gear. I've also used my gear to get my own truck unstuck when a willing truck had no gear to pull.

Thanks.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Calling Towing / Recovery Pros

This winter I've come across a couple vehicles that have gone off into the ditch. I keep a simple tow strap in my truck and have pulled them out.

So, what is the actual proper way to do this to limit possible damage to my own truck?

The way I've done it is purely out of speed and convenience since I'm usually ending up in the middle of the road stopping some traffic while I pull them out.

I have just hooked onto my FRONT tow hooks. Put my truck in 4 Wheel Drive Lock and pulled them out in reverse with steady throttle (no yanking or jerking). Is this going to cause damage to my drive line?

I would ideally put the truck in 4 Low and pull them out going forward from the rear of my truck, but getting my truck into 4 Low takes some rolling around in neutral and whatnot, fails sometimes, which I usually don't feel like I have the time for, plus getting turned around on a 2 lane back road with oncoming traffic isn't idea either.

In short, mostly wondering if pulling in reverse in 4 Wheel Lock is going to ultimately cost me one of these times.

2017 2500, Deleted.

4. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The safest way to pull a vehicle out is with a winch. Unless you are insured for doing vehicle recovery, I will leave it to a tow company. It is pretty easy to bend up someone's expensive mostly plastic piece of car. I would do it for someone I know. With all the sue happy people out there, not a chance anymore.

-Muzzy

6. Thanks watersupply189, timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    The safest way to pull a vehicle out is with a winch. Unless you are insured for doing vehicle recovery, I will leave it to a tow company. It is pretty easy to bend up someone's expensive mostly plastic piece of car. I would do it for someone I know. With all the sue happy people out there, not a chance anymore.

-Muzzy
    Roger that.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have a winch on the front of my truck, I'm very careful of who I pull out because of sue happy people. And when I do pull someone out I have them hook up to there own vehicle and I make sure they know I will not be responsible for any damage that may occur. I gone as far as have them sign a piece of paper releasing me from liability. I was sued once for trying to be a good person and help someone, I hooked up my winch cable to them and pulled there car out.
    there car was damaged from accident. I bent there rear bumper from pulling on the axle to get them out because of the angle in wich the car was and how they were wedged in the ditch and snow. I won the case. But still lost because of the money i was out for an attorney. I very rarely pull anybody out any more. Sad, but it is a fact of life .

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

9. Thanks watersupply189, 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Muzzy liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Let's hypothetically say I drive my other car into the ditch and am not going to sue myself.. what's the scoop on pulling it out in 4WD Lock in reverse?

11. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I have pulled out vehicles in 4x4 in reverse and have not had problems.

Knock on wood.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

13. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post

-Muzzy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhorse View Post
    I want to better help pull random vehicles from snow banks etc.around home.

My question is which grade 70 bridle combo is best for most passenger cars without recovery points?

I'm thinking 3' on each bridle leg with 8" J hooks, and not sure if the mini J, T, or R is most useful, all grade 70.

I'm experienced in off-road winching, and experienced with rigging of tree saver straps, kinetic ropes, nylon tow straps, and have even sinned with non rates chains on tow ***** before I knew better. I know better than to rip a bumper off or destroy control arms,etc and am very aware of when to call the pros. Also aware of legal issues involved.

I'm in a big winter area and can help a few stuck folks.

A side note is I carry double sets of most gear and hardware because lots of truck guys don't even have a receiver pin, let alone other proper gear. I've also used my gear to get my own truck unstuck when a willing truck had no gear to pull.

Thanks.
    I've been recovering cars for decades.

The best setup is a winch and a good set of J hooks.

Occasionally you do need a strep. @F350Cummins has seen me at work.

He owns my recovery rig now.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Thanks timshooter40, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post