Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Deleting (taking all egr stuff off)????

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Deleting (taking all egr stuff off)????

Hey there all. Purchased a 2017 2500 tradesman with 20k miles on it. It has mm3 tuner with drd tunes (which are awesome by the way). When I bought the truck it came with a box full of deviant race egr delete kit. My question is do I need to do anything special to remove all said egr stuff. I’ve done this on a couple of other trucks but I was reading through the instructions that came with the delete kit and the point where it says to take the egr valve off it says if I’m using a smarty programmer that I need to leave it plugged up and zip tie it all somewhere secure and if I was using a H&S that I could just unplug and remove it. This sounds kinda crazy to me seeing how none of this stuff works anymore to my knowledge. Any of you guys have any input on this and if so it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Likes walla2k5, Jaxonsram, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Deleting (taking all egr stuff off)????

Quote Originally Posted by MrPowell View Post
    Hey there all. Purchased a 2017 2500 tradesman with 20k miles on it. It has mm3 tuner with drd tunes (which are awesome by the way). When I bought the truck it came with a box full of deviant race egr delete kit. My question is do I need to do anything special to remove all said egr stuff. I’ve done this on a couple of other trucks but I was reading through the instructions that came with the delete kit and the point where it says to take the egr valve off it says if I’m using a smarty programmer that I need to leave it plugged up and zip tie it all somewhere secure and if I was using a H&S that I could just unplug and remove it. This sounds kinda crazy to me seeing how none of this stuff works anymore to my knowledge. Any of you guys have any input on this and if so it would be greatly appreciated.
    My truck is a 15' with mm3 I unplugged all of it after the delete. (Going to egr valve itself) I used shibby plug kit to cap off the plugs. Hope this helps

2015 cummins 2500 crew cab w/ rf 68 s&b cold air,mbrp stainless 4" w/ muffler,mm3 tuner from double r diesel,xdr throttle valve delete,xdr egr delete,shibby plug kit, traxda 3.5"/2" lift, 20x12 hostile wheels w/35" amp at/g tires

4. Likes walla2k5, Jaxonsram, cwendel, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

With the MM3 on your 17 nothing under the hood needs to be unplugged to run. Those instructions for the Smarty and zip tieing the actuators up out of the way are from the early days of 'upgrading'. That doesn't apply to your truck. You can just unplug and remove it all now if installing a removal kit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Likes walla2k5, Jaxonsram, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Awesome fellas. Thanks a ton, all I needed to to know.

8. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Not to intentionally hi jack the thread, but I guess I’ve been reading some conflicting information on all the egr stuff too. Is the egr delete kits that other vendors sell necessary or not when deleting? Is the only benefit to “clean up” the engine bay?

10. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX_2500_Cummins View Post
    Not to intentionally hi jack the thread, but I guess I’ve been reading some conflicting information on all the egr stuff too. Is the egr delete kits that other vendors sell necessary or not when deleting? Is the only benefit to “clean up” the engine bay?
    Lots of folks leave it all in place to pass visual inspection... others remove it for a cleaner look. The EGR cooler can potentially leak coolant, or crack if it traps an air pocket. It also sits in the fat middle of the exhaust flow to your turbo, so blocking off those ports keeps those gasses flowing to the turbine instead of taking a detour through the cooler. The throttle valve can potentially close up, even if unplugged. Like anything else with these trucks... some have had issues, and others have not.

12. Thanks TX_2500_Cummins thanked for this post
    Likes TX_2500_Cummins, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Lots of folks leave it all in place to pass visual inspection... others remove it for a cleaner look. The EGR cooler can potentially leak coolant, or crack if it traps an air pocket. It also sits in the fat middle of the exhaust flow to your turbo, so blocking off those ports keeps those gasses flowing to the turbine instead of taking a detour through the cooler. The throttle valve can potentially close up, even if unplugged. Like anything else with these trucks... some have had issues, and others have not.
    I agree with the information above. The EGR cooler if left in place also creates an unnecessary heat load in the coolant system.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I agree with the information above. The EGR cooler if left in place also creates an unnecessary heat load in the coolant system.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good call @AK Bob. I forgot to mention the thermal factor of leaving the cooler in place. My coolant used to stay at 205. With the cooler removed, it stays at 192 (F).

16. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40, Power247 liked this post