Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Backlash? Clank

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Backlash? Clank

2017 with 11.5 aam trac rite lsd with 48k miles I’m getting some clanking when shifting from drive to reverse as well as throttle on to coast and back to throttle in first gear and sometimes in second. I’ve read other post and forums saying this is normal with these diffs and dealers saying it’s normal with no issues after people complaining about the same thing as I’m experiencing. I checked backlash and it’s .009” which is out of spec from the specified .004-.007” . Also read somewhere that during breakin in you can loose up to .001 to .002” lash. I guess it’s possible it was within spec from factory?. So seams like people are saying it’s “normal” to have increased backlash? I’m trying to figure out if should submit a warranty claim on it or just drive it. What are y’alls thoughts on the contact pattern?

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 3500 CCLB DRW 4x4 3.73, Shocker Nightmare train horns, 5gallon on board air with Viar compressor and regulator, mag-hytec diff cover

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Backlash? Clank

Merry Christmas!

@Polaraco I read some of your other post and seems like your very very knowledgeable on rear ends.

What are your thoughts on my contact pattern?

2017 3500 CCLB DRW 4x4 3.73, Shocker Nightmare train horns, 5gallon on board air with Viar compressor and regulator, mag-hytec diff cover

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhockey155 View Post
    2017 with 11.5 aam trac rite lsd with 48k miles I’m getting some clanking when shifting from drive to reverse as well as throttle on to coast and back to throttle in first gear and sometimes in second. I’ve read other post and forums saying this is normal with these diffs and dealers saying it’s normal with no issues after people complaining about the same thing as I’m experiencing. I checked backlash and it’s .009” which is out of spec from the specified .004-.007” . Also read somewhere that during breakin in you can loose up to .001 to .002” lash. I guess it’s possible it was within spec from factory?. So seams like people are saying it’s “normal” to have increased backlash? I’m trying to figure out if should submit a warranty claim on it or just drive it. What are y’alls thoughts on the contact pattern?
    The pinion looks like it needs to come in a couple of thousands. It will probably howell. Try compensating with the side play first.

Sorry Pneumonia sucks

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhockey155 View Post
    Merry Christmas!

@Polaraco I read some of your other post and seems like your very very knowledgeable on rear ends.

What are your thoughts on my contact pattern?
    Do you have a dial indicator? I made a shaft on the lathe to hold one. Magnetic bases don't work well and there is no place to clamp it. I can loan you the shaft and indicator, but I want to hold the title of the truck till I get it back.

Hope I'm not too late for you.

Also there is a torque spec for the end play on the pinion. It is advised it be followed.

The pinion will be stiff and hard to turn with your hand.

That is proper with new gears and bearings. Depth is hard to do without the proper gauge. Usually reusing the original shims work, but there are some cases where they do not.

I have all the tolerance spcs if you need them

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Pinions shallow by atleast .005" backlash is to tight, your running off the toe of the gear.

08 r2500 quad cab 4x4 - Ugly Betty
    Deleted, AFE , 5" strait pipe , DRD Tuned
    68RFE, bonded, pressure kit , Drum, Chanel plate, ultra tight tripple
    Carli 2.5" King Shocks, Full Deaver rear
    F/R 4340 shafts, locked up, Freespin, 4.10's
    17" Icon Rebound Pros w/ 37" Baja Pro's
    IronCross bumpers F/R, 12k winch, BedSlide, Canopy , etc.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post