Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tow mirror upgrade

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: tow mirror upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Got them hooked up and in. Drivers side was easy. Passenger was a booger. I used butt connectors and they were getting pinned between bottom of mirror and top of light
    Dang do you have lights under your truck or is all that light from the mirror?

Those things are bright!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Dang do you have lights under your truck or is all that light from the mirror?

Those things are bright!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Ive got the amp power steps and replaced the lights that come with their kit for a 6k led strip under the doors to illuminate the steps. I wasn’t too worried about the puddle lights since I had that light but it bothered me since they should work and didn’t LOL

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, PullinAir liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Ive got the amp power steps and replaced the lights that come with their kit for a 6k led strip under the doors to illuminate the steps. I wasn’t too worried about the puddle lights since I had that light but it bothered me since they should work and didn’t LOL
    Yeah I feel the same about my truck when one little light is out. LOL.

Truck is looking great man!!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Resurrecting a old thread I know but I have the regular mirrors right now but need to replace them because the passenger side auto dim has failed and I always tinted now. I want to upgrade to tow mirrors. if I get the tow mirrors with the puddle lamps and heat and all that I would assume that because that I already have the options on my old mirrors that it should just plug in and be good. am I correct in that thinking? also, what brands have you all had the best luck with?

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    Resurrecting a old thread I know but I have the regular mirrors right now but need to replace them because the passenger side auto dim has failed and I always tinted now. I want to upgrade to tow mirrors. if I get the tow mirrors with the puddle lamps and heat and all that I would assume that because that I already have the options on my old mirrors that it should just plug in and be good. am I correct in that thinking? also, what brands have you all had the best luck with?
    You will likely have the connectors in your door module to plug into but will need to flash the ECM to turn on these functions. I would recommend looking into Alpha OBD for this and other add ons. A dealer can flash it as well to add features but will be much more expensive.

Ill look and see what brand I’ve got. I had black OEM and bought chrome housing set off eBay. I had two issues with mine

1. The top mounting bolt was too long and had to to be trimmed to shut door (not a big deal)
    2. The puddle light didn’t work out of the box. I replaced it with led version and they work now. I am not sure if the wiring was bad or what.

Overall for the price including extra lights I’d buy them again. The glass doesn’t shake which drove me nuts with my koolview model on my third gen

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

i have heard people have had pretty good luck with the trail ridge ones. will the truck recognize that it has different mirrors on it? i cant remember if i have turn signals on my mirrors but i don't think that i do so i would probley have to have them turned on. from what i understand though most people have issues with the puddle lamps. i will have look into the alpha OBD as well. who knows maybe can unlock some other cool features haha

10. Likes PullinAir, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

i have heard people have had pretty good luck with the trail ridge ones. will the truck recognize that it has different mirrors on it? i cant remember if i have turn signals on my mirrors but i don't think that i do so i would probley have to have them turned on. from what i understand though most people have issues with the puddle lamps. i will have look into the alpha OBD as well. who knows maybe can unlock some other cool features haha
    @f18framer I upgraded to the trail ridge tow mirrors from 1aauto.com (part #TRMRP00039 I think) - I can't find them on 1aauto's site anymore - this is the link to the chrome version https://www.1aauto.com/dodge-ram-mir...=592651&y=2010.

They were plug and play, my old mirrors were already heated, blinkers and puddle light. The new ones work the same way and they don't shake going down the highway.

I also installed a kit that turned the blinker light in the mirrors into running/blinker lights.

Here's the link to the alphaobd thread on ramforum.com. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/.

I have alphaobd and the pin to my truck, I've used it to program two new key fobs but that's the extent of my messing with it. If you look at the AlphaOBD code setting list at the bottom of OP's signature it looks like the following will get the mirror puddle lights/blinkers/etc working:

Mirrors Interior Rear View and Exterior: (signal, puddle, dim)
    Vehicle Configuration 3:Interior EC Mirror Present (Rear view mirror)
    Doors:Mirror Turn Signal Present
    Select “yes”
    Doors: Electro-chromatic driver mirror present
    Select “yes”
    Doors:Electro-chromatic passenger mirror present
    Select “yes”
    Doors: Mirror Approach Lights Present
    Select “yes”
    Under “program customer features”
    EC Mirror Auto Dim (Rear view mirror)

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PullinAir View Post
    @f18framer I upgraded to the trail ridge tow mirrors from 1aauto.com (part #TRMRP00039 I think) - I can't find them on 1aauto's site anymore - this is the link to the chrome version https://www.1aauto.com/dodge-ram-mir...=592651&y=2010.

They were plug and play, my old mirrors were already heated, blinkers and puddle light. The new ones work the same way and they don't shake going down the highway.

I also installed a kit that turned the blinker light in the mirrors into running/blinker lights.

Here's the link to the alphaobd thread on ramforum.com. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/.

I have alphaobd and the pin to my truck, I've used it to program two new key fobs but that's the extent of my messing with it. If you look at the AlphaOBD code setting list at the bottom of OP's signature it looks like the following will get the mirror puddle lights/blinkers/etc working:

Mirrors Interior Rear View and Exterior: (signal, puddle, dim)
    Vehicle Configuration 3:Interior EC Mirror Present (Rear view mirror)
    Doors:Mirror Turn Signal Present
    Select “yes”
    Doors: Electro-chromatic driver mirror present
    Select “yes”
    Doors:Electro-chromatic passenger mirror present
    Select “yes”
    Doors: Mirror Approach Lights Present
    Select “yes”
    Under “program customer features”
    EC Mirror Auto Dim (Rear view mirror)

you mentioned a pin for your truck? were do you get that? also, you mentioned programing new key fobs, are you talking about he sentury key or the push button start fobs? I wonder if there is a way to get a new remote and activate remote start haha. that would be amazing

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

you mentioned a pin for your truck? were do you get that? also, you mentioned programing new key fobs, are you talking about he sentury key or the push button start fobs? I wonder if there is a way to get a new remote and activate remote start haha. that would be amazing
    @f18framer you have to have a 4 digit pin to change anything on your truck through alphaOBD. I was able to get mine from my local dealer - all he needed was to see my registration with the vin on it. He wrote it down a piece of paper.

My truck only came with one key fob, I bought two new ones off of amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I called around to some local locksmiths and they wouldn't touch it, I'm guessing because I bought fobs already, they wanted me to buy theirs. Anyway, once I received the pin, programming them through alphaOBD took about 15 minutes once I figured out the process. Remote start works.

keyfob.jpg

That's the original key fob, the new ones look much nicer!

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PullinAir View Post
    @f18framer you have to have a 4 digit pin to change anything on your truck through alphaOBD. I was able to get mine from my local dealer - all he needed was to see my registration with the vin on it. He wrote it down a piece of paper.

My truck only came with one key fob, I bought two new ones off of amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I called around to some local locksmiths and they wouldn't touch it, I'm guessing because I bought fobs already, they wanted me to buy theirs. Anyway, once I received the pin, programming them through alphaOBD took about 15 minutes once I figured out the process. Remote start works.

keyfob.jpg

That's the original key fob, the new ones look much nicer!
    did your truck come with remote start originally? what year is it?

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast