Likes Likes:  75
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please change my mind!!

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Please change my mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron View Post
    ALCON,

I've been 'very mildly' pressured into getting a membership herein IOT get any"Real" help.

Being what I am; "the noob realist in the making" you gain better business being humble and reaching out by going "above and beyond". Anybody military will understand what I'm talking about. "Sorry civilian pukes".

I will try and dumb this down the best I can with verbage better understood irregardless of your background....

I've 'reached out for help' to 'feel out' the forum, and I am not getting the feeling I should have...

It could be that there is a lack of personnel to help.... Or it could be to the fact that (you) do not get help without the "Right membership"...

Where I come from... (And the way I was raised) you help out anyone in need irregardless...

With that being humbly as I can say; "I donated before ever even becoming a lifetime member"
    I do not wish to stay in these forums because it seems biased to those who chose to be loyal "Which I love loyalty when it's right" to a prehistoric programmer which I know is good (At what he does) but lacks evolution.

I respect old-school... But when do you evolve...?

I've read and read and read and read...

It's almost idiotic not to move on to the bigger and better ready to use programming systems out there...

I talked to someone on the phone 'for roughly 20 minutes' and I learned a hole bunch about the tuning process and how advantageous it is when you are using the cloud system...

You can throw conspiracy theory all you want to demoralize cloud based application's but no matter what you say; anything else is obsolete and prehistoric compared to the new cloud based systems.

All said; please try and change my mind...

I respect all that everyone does and I'm simply making a decision that is better for my vehicle and myself.

There are 1000's of programmers it there and the best ones haven't even popular yet.

That's because of evolution...

Some might say Kareem is the best basketball player to ever live... Or Micheal Jordan...

How good would they be today when they were in their prime? They would good their own but would they stand out? Maybe...

30 years from now how good would they be? I would argue that they would 'at best' make the average... Why? Evolution...

With all said... Please tell me why I should NOT go with the new evolutionized tuner vs. someone who still uses a typewriter...

Again I respect old school! But when it comes to computers and electronics, I'll take a millennial over a baby-boomer 10/10x.

PLEASE CHANGED MY MIND!

- Iron
    To the rest of forums please excuse my candor

to Iron: This is a real forum with real people who do everything they can within given limitations to provide everyone with correct information. This post comes across as you having a superior attitude and it is really quite demeaning towards everyone here who have done nothing to deserve it. Maybe if you try talking to these people with like a decent person who seeks information you may actually get some. Some of the reactions here still tried to help REGARDLESS of your behavior. That is a testament to the quality of people here you refuse to get to know.

Honestly, it sounds like you have already made up your mind you are just trolling for what you feel are lame attempts at trying to change your mind or its a sorry excuse not to pony up for the membership. You say you respect old school to the point everyone here knows better. You have a right to your own opinions and no one here will say different. You say evolution like it is ALWAYS a good thing. No one thing in this life ever is. As far as tuning, have fun going cloud based and see what you get and most importantly have the brass to tell us one way or the other and be honest about it. There is only so much that can be done to these engines given the programming they have. The smart thing is to go with the solid and proven tune that has shown over time to be reliable and clean. At most your evolutionary tuner will yield 2-3% better results and given the cost of repairs if that tune causes problems its a no-brainer.

You talked with someone on the phone for 20 minutes and now you are convinced. Funny you never mentioned anything about that person's knowledge or background. He must have been one hell of a salesman. Good luck.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    To the rest of forums please excuse my candor

to Iron: This is a real forum with real people who do everything they can within given limitations to provide everyone with correct information. This post comes across as you having a superior attitude and it is really quite demeaning towards everyone here who have done nothing to deserve it. Maybe if you try talking to these people with like a decent person who seeks information you may actually get some. Some of the reactions here still tried to help REGARDLESS of your behavior. That is a testament to the quality of people here you refuse to get to know.

Honestly, it sounds like you have already made up your mind you are just trolling for what you feel are lame attempts at trying to change your mind or its a sorry excuse not to pony up for the membership. You say you respect old school to the point everyone here knows better. You have a right to your own opinions and no one here will say different. You say evolution like it is ALWAYS a good thing. No one thing in this life ever is. As far as tuning, have fun going cloud based and see what you get and most importantly have the brass to tell us one way or the other and be honest about it. There is only so much that can be done to these engines given the programming they have. The smart thing is to go with the solid and proven tune that has shown over time to be reliable and clean. At most your evolutionary tuner will yield 2-3% better results and given the cost of repairs if that tune causes problems its a no-brainer.

You talked with someone on the phone for 20 minutes and now you are convinced. Funny you never mentioned anything about that person's knowledge or background. He must have been one hell of a salesman. Good luck.
    Aboshan,

Great response! I don't want to come across as an @$$hole at all. The people in here have been both helpful and very humble thus far.

In resent my previous post with all my heart... When I drink "Russian water" I tend to say more than I normally would.

No excuse though! I'm here to learn and everyone learns from their decisions irregardless of the outcome good/bad. Bad makes us better though!

I'm sorry... I was rubbed wrong a little bit when a couple guys followed up with "You'll get more with a premium membership"... Got it... I just don't make decisions that fast. Sorry I'm a little slow and prefer to take my time in things "For the most part...

I tend to 'over-research' things to make sure I know I'm getting the best deal / making sure I'm making a good decision even know some of my decisions in life haven't what's been the best. But I try not to look back. I try to focus on the future the best I can.

I have SO MUCH to learn and all I can tell to everyone, is that with the most humble voicd I can charm, is that I apologize for sounding like an a-hole. But I think I'm a pretty nice man. I'm the dumb@$$ that hands a $20 bill, a bag of taco-Bell and a bottle of 'military special vodka's out the window to the old 60 year old bearded man.

Anyways... My bag to anyone I offended. I don't want to come across as disrespectful at all.

Thanks for the replies gents!

- Iron

3. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron View Post
    Aboshan,

Great response! I don't want to come across as an @$$hole at all. The people in here have been both helpful and very humble thus far.

In resent my previous post with all my heart... When I drink "Russian water" I tend to say more than I normally would.

No excuse though! I'm here to learn and everyone learns from their decisions irregardless of the outcome good/bad. Bad makes us better though!

I'm sorry... I was rubbed wrong a little bit when a couple guys followed up with "You'll get more with a premium membership"... Got it... I just don't make decisions that fast. Sorry I'm a little slow and prefer to take my time in things "For the most part...

I tend to 'over-research' things to make sure I know I'm getting the best deal / making sure I'm making a good decision even know some of my decisions in life haven't what's been the best. But I try not to look back. I try to focus on the future the best I can.

I have SO MUCH to learn and all I can tell to everyone, is that with the most humble voicd I can charm, is that I apologize for sounding like an a-hole. But I think I'm a pretty nice man. I'm the dumb@$$ that hands a $20 bill, a bag of taco-Bell and a bottle of 'military special vodka's out the window to the old 60 year old bearded man.

Anyways... My bag to anyone I offended. I don't want to come across as disrespectful at all.

Thanks for the replies gents!

- Iron
    It's all good. No one is perfect, especially me.

I have never been one to beat around the bush so to speak and when I see things like that I have to call it for what it is. Seems I am losing patience in my old age.

You won't find a better bunch than on these forums. They will help you over research whatever you desire and maybe a few things you didn't plan on researching.

I am sure you will find what you are looking for and if you do find something better we are all open to new ideas and welcome the information.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Man there is no question that the EPA is coming after private owned diesel pickups and business that modify them right now. You said you do your research, there are plenty of stories online about private individual truck owners getting busted. Local shops around me have been searched by EPA agents and had their records seized. They are getting lawyers and trying to minimize the financial damage.

In that light the last thing I want is a tuner with all of my information and access to upgrades wrapped up in an online cloud...

For this reason I like old school, seems to work just fine, my information is in no system anywhere linking me to anything the EPA can ***** about. That's how I want to keep it.

7. Thanks Goldguy5, IGOTACUMMINS, Aboshan thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I have worked in the old school industry for the past 20 years, professionally. Specifically, software/hardware that runs large industries like chemicals, consumer products, pharma, and food. For the past couple of years cloud has be taking over the tried and true, highly modifiable, workable solutions that we have implemented successfully for years and years. And while cloud has its advantages, they certainly do not outweigh the downsides. Cloud introduces a very strict mechanism of control, outside of its users, control of its users... Control and oversight. It is sold to us behind the guise of 'speed', 'access anywhere', 'always backed up', etc etc. when really, you are allowing others to control your data, your bills, your life.

The price of a lifetime membership is a very small price to pay to have access to a community of similar minded die hard patriots and diesel fans, and some extremely smart folks that can help you trouble shoot issues from their computer chairs. I see no issue with saving a few bucks for a couple of weeks to pay for this membership. Becoming a lifetime member was the 1st best decision I made, and the second best decision was going with the tried and true.

New technology isnt always better... and now these days with big brother, new technology has 1 primary purpose.... remember nothing is free. (take a look at China)

Get the membership, ask the questions. You will be happy you did!

Cheers

9. Top Of Page | #16
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myfirstCTD View Post
    I have worked in the old school industry for the past 20 years, professionally. Specifically, software/hardware that runs large industries like chemicals, consumer products, pharma, and food. For the past couple of years cloud has be taking over the tried and true, highly modifiable, workable solutions that we have implemented successfully for years and years. And while cloud has its advantages, they certainly do not outweigh the downsides. Cloud introduces a very strict mechanism of control, outside of its users, control of its users... Control and oversight. It is sold to us behind the guise of 'speed', 'access anywhere', 'always backed up', etc etc. when really, you are allowing others to control your data, your bills, your life.

Bingo ... Well said.
    The only thing I'd like to add is how every company praises how safe and secure the cloud is .. when even they get hit and loose peoples data every year.
    As you can tell, I really don't like the cloud.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Likes Power247, Thomas1960, myfirstCTD, Aboshan liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

So what is your question?

Whether or not it's worth $100 for the membership?

Whether MM3 or EZ Lynk is the better tuning platform?

Plenty of knowledgeable folks here to help and offer advice (for free).

12. Likes Thomas1960 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Iron,

I can sympathize with you as I am active duty military and depending on your rank, a $100 is a lot of money on the "hope" that you find the solution and answers to your questions and the service you desire.

I have been back and fourth over the "cloud" system and "closed" system of tuning our trucks. You will find that people are very defensive on both sides of the fence and fiercely defend those they support. That sounds like loyalty to me which I can appreciate. Both of the mentioned methods will fit the bill and you just need to look at the details of each and make a good choice that fits what YOUR personal desires are and what you want in a device and the following service.

Ultimately, I chose to forgo cloud technology for a closed system that is simple and works. That is all I want; no fancy gizmos, automatic updates, cloud based tunes, or the potential phone linking hassles. I don't plan on doing any future performance upgrades and I don't need anything special. Just a solid, proven tune that will suit my needs.

Plus I got a good deal on a used device and already have some stuff from a previous truck so there was some cost factored into it. The membership fee is given back though discounts and you get a military discount too so that made me parting with my money that much easier. I know that is a hard concept to get your head around and is part of the reason I debated my choice for such a long time.

I will say however, that I have not tuned my truck yet. I have been stock piling parts over the last six months. I am currently stuck in the middle east until June which is when I will apply my upgrades and drive from one end of the country to the other which is another reason for a "closed system." I don't want to fight technology, I just want something that works.

To my fellow forum users, I think many of us are too quick to jump on the offensive and polarize a conversation without asking the right questions and try and understand a person's "frame of reference." I see this on just about every forum I go on and it makes it hard to obtain information when nearly every thread has some spiraling conversation that permanently derails the OP's actual question, comment, response, or review. I think we all could do a little better at controlling our emotions and not let loyalty blind us in our responses.

14. Likes Thomas1960, allbizns, Aboshan liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    Iron,

To my fellow forum users, I think many of us are too quick to jump on the offensive and polarize a conversation without asking the right questions and try and understand a person's "frame of reference." I see this on just about every forum I go on and it makes it hard to obtain information when nearly every thread has some spiraling conversation that permanently derails the OP's actual question, comment, response, or review. I think we all could do a little better at controlling our emotions and not let loyalty blind us in our responses.
    Not so sure... the OP came out of the gate with gloves on and drunk on Russian water.

A simple Google search brings up plenty of good info.

I didn't see any specific question related to anything really. It is easy enough to understand that gov't programs are being put into place to shut down and punish severely and disproportionately anybody with a brain and free thinkers.

Therefore, a simple vetting process is in place to protect those that passionately help us, folks, out with our trucks.

I haven't been here long, but from the threads and threads and posts that I read I can tell the attitude here is quite different than in other places (in a highly positive way).

Here is a thread I found from google that isn't beyond the premium firewall.
    https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...better-and-Why

Ray himself says that any system is good, it all boils down to customer service.

Cheers,

16. Thanks AK Bob, Aboshan thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Aboshan liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I understand your view point, the comment was not meant to provide further offense and it was not directed at just the respondents.

The original poster did not word his lengthy original post correctly. I do however, understand that I can be a bit brash in both written and verbal communication (22 years in the Marines will do that) so my responses had that in mind when I read his post being he was military. I have a tendency to look past the excess words and try and see the main point of the conversation in my replies.

To further your point, I have spent several months combing through websites, forums, google, and reviews to finally get to my decision. The information is out there for a diligent person to find. Again you have to be willing to read through the BS.

Obviously I settled on the fact the paywall was worth it and I understood why DRD did what he did given the climate of affairs right now. I respect him for protecting himself and his customers and he answered all of my questions in a very satisfactory way.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, Aboshan liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast