Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: EGR delete vs. BANKS Ram Air Intake 'System'

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

EGR delete vs. BANKS Ram Air Intake 'System'

Just tell me if I'm wrong and fine tune anything I'm off on please...

EGR delete:
    - Simple
    - Works best w/exhaust deletes
    - Should be done w/ throttle valve delete?

BRAIS:
    - Better airflow but not with the high cost?
    - Better purchase if your intervention is to run water/meth/nos?

I have no intention of running high horsepower anytime soon... Perhaps in the 'near' future I will run more ponies. After all more ponies = better fuel economy!

Please, please chime in. Sorry about the noob question!

- Iron

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EGR delete vs. BANKS Ram Air Intake 'System'

Are you comparing using a block off plate while deleting vs a new intake horn? The “EGR delete” is more involved than just throwing a block off plate on the stock intake horn.

The block off plate is a simple and sufficient for most. You don't NEED to delete the throttle valve but it’s cheap and if you’re not going with an aftermarket air horn eventually why not.

From what i’ve found the air horn isn't necessary until your pushing big power. It does look much better in the engine bay so there’s a plus. If you go that route do some searching on 6.7 intake horns and you’ll find theres better options than banks as far as airflow. Looks wise is subjective and the banks horn is one of the better looking options IMO.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I bought my truck deleted, then when I had it in the shop for the blown head gasket they did the grid heater delete and the shop also added the 4" Banks air horn. There was a noticeable improvement in throttle response but my AFE filter now throws a code every time I open it up past 1/3 throttle. I still have the throttle valve because it's not causing much air disturbance and it's cheap insurance to stop a runaway down the road. I might add a water/meth injection system down the road to drop EGTs if they get too high, but that would truly only be for towing up a steep grade where I don't want to slow down. Right now during normal driving my EGTs are in the 400-600 range, but when I use all the power and get some high speeds, they can go to 1300 but as soon as I let off they drop quickly. Hope this helps some.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If your going to spend the money to do a delete, do it right.

When I see people installing the $40 Chinese EGR deletes it makes me cringe.

Glacier Diesel makes very nice intake horns, although this latest EPA scare I'm not sure if they have any left.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post