Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  114
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Highway Shake

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Highway Shake

Do you feel it in the steering wheel?

Looks like a steering issue- front end shaking.

May want to have someone drive next to you to see the wheels to see if it is visibly shaking.

Also, not sure what year you have but there is a recall for the steering box mount, (re-weld or install brace), may want to check if it was done.

If it is the front end they make a brave to strengthen it, they are usually OK with the factory tire size but when you lift and get larger tires they can develop a wobble at speed- look up “death wobble” for more info.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Do you feel it in the steering wheel?

Looks like a steering issue- front end shaking.

May want to have someone drive next to you to see the wheels to see if it is visibly shaking.

Also, not sure what year you have but there is a recall for the steering box mount, (re-weld or install brace), may want to check if it was done.

If it is the front end they make a brave to strengthen it, they are usually OK with the factory tire size but when you lift and get larger tires they can develop a wobble at speed- look up “death wobble” for more info.
    No, I do not feel it in the steering wheel at all, it's smooth handling in the wheel. Does this change your recommendation?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    How is the road noise and vibration(in contrast to my current issue)?

Oh and I forgot to ask about your experience with them and rain traction? We do get a lot of rain...

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    How is the road noise and vibration(in contrast to my current issue)?

Any experience with the mud versions?

They seem to have a special pricing on them and I use muds now.

8. Likes watersupply189, DIESELWRKS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

I logged on to present this same problem... 2015 Cummins 4x4, Thuren 1" springs front and rear, old set of tires were Duratrac 285-75-18 - absolutely smooth. Had BF KO2's (35x12.5x18) installed a couple of weeks ago and I now get the truck vibration like jgruberman's video between 70-80 (haven't tried faster). It's bad enough that my wife made some comments about the truck shaking - and she doesn't pay attention to such things.

I have had the balance checked 3 times at 2 different shops. I have an appointment at a third shop on Monday.

Any suggestions?

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rugcag View Post
    I logged on to present this same problem... 2015 Cummins 4x4, Thuren 1" springs front and rear, old set of tires were Duratrac 285-75-18 - absolutely smooth. Had BF KO2's (35x12.5x18) installed a couple of weeks ago and I now get the truck vibration like jgruberman's video between 70-80 (haven't tried faster). It's bad enough that my wife made some comments about the truck shaking - and she doesn't pay attention to such things.

I have had the balance checked 3 times at 2 different shops. I have an appointment at a third shop on Monday.

Any suggestions?
    Have you tried putting other tires on maybe a buddies just to see if its tires? There have been lots of complaints around my area about dont run BFG KO2 tires as the tire compound is to soft for HD trucks. Ok for 1/2 ton but not HD. Tire companies not telling us this but coming from tire shop selling them from customers feed back. Loggers and farmers, they said rubber to soft even though load rate E they said side walls to soft and ride rough bouncy, plus no milage. I dont run them myself this is what i here . Just passing it along.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

I don't know anyone who I could ask to use their tires .

My thoughts are that I may have to purchase another set and try to sell these - they only have a couple thousand miles on them.

I had heard that the KO2's didn't work well but didn't pay any attention because I have not experienced the shaking with my last set.

Thought I was one of the lucky ones. Guess not.

The explanation of why they don't work well on HD trucks is interesting. I haven't heard that one before but it makes the most sense in relation to the other explanations.

Guess I will look for a tire with a harder compound and side wall.

Thanks for the info.

14. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rugcag View Post
    I don't know anyone who I could ask to use their tires .

My thoughts are that I may have to purchase another set and try to sell these - they only have a couple thousand miles on them.

I had heard that the KO2's didn't work well but didn't pay any attention because I have not experienced the shaking with my last set.

Thought I was one of the lucky ones. Guess not.

The explanation of why they don't work well on HD trucks is interesting. I haven't heard that one before but it makes the most sense in relation to the other explanations.

Guess I will look for a tire with a harder compound and side wall.

Thanks for the info.
    What type of balancing are they doing at these shops?

Any of them doing a road force balancing.

I had issues with k02 on my last truck and when they are new and you get 4-13 oz of weight is horrible.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

16. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

I just breezed through this thread so apologies if this has been mentioned: but have you tried throwing on a set of hub-centric rings?

Road tires and A/Ts could have been fine without them but an aggressive tire can vibrate under the same conditions without the rings.

They are very cheap.

18. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

I did not.

A balance noticably reduced the severity but did not fix the issue.

20. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast