Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: Tow Video - Whats your Thoughts!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tow Video - Whats your Thoughts!

I feel Ram has Created/Designed/Built - One Heck of a Truck!

I think this Truck needs a (Serviceable) ZF 8 or 10-speed in the near future or even a Upgraded Aisin 10sp?

Maybe someday in the future - Time & $$$$ will allow me to perform some modifications to my 68RFE to help with reliability and performance!
    This is Only if it chooses to develop issues.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tow Video - Whats your Thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I feel Ram has Created/Designed/Built - One Heck of a Truck!

I think this Truck needs a (Serviceable) ZF 8 or 10-speed in the near future!

I agree, I drove a '19 with the 6.4L Hemi while getting my truck serviced and that 8 speed trans was nice.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The 19 HO Aisin combo is a little behind the times, it weights almost 2x more the 68r and it shift like a medium duty truck, but it absolutely does the job. 10 speed HD Trans will be RAMs next big upgrade. Personally it was the interior & tech that got me to buy it. Its a really nice, comfortable place to be. I believe I made the right choice for me.

6. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I only wonder if ZF will get the contract for the new RAM transmission.

I did read where there was one in the works - It was not disclosed whether it was going to be a 8sp or 10sp.

8. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I only wonder if ZF will get the contract for the new RAM transmission.

I did read where there was one in the works - It was not disclosed whether it was going to be a 8sp or 10sp.
    They have some work to do before they can put the ZF behind the Cummins. It does quite well behind the 6.4 Hemi but can't hold up to the torque of the 6.7.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Greg: I whole heartedly agree!
    I only hope they do it right the first time - No 2-3 yr guinea pigs!
    A (Serviceable) HD ZF 8sp or 10sp would be impressive.

Maybe Ram is secretly working on a 10sp Aisin Transmission? --->This might be the most logical & cost effective solution.
    I guess wait and see!

I'll stay positive with my 68RFE & Be stern with the Maintenance! I know adding the ATS thermal by-pass delete block increased longevity (Dropping temps drastically) - Also eliminated the chance for failure from overheating.
    Adding the PML pan (In the spring) with a drain plug will make for quick service every 25K miles (With a Actual 100% Synthetic ATF) & (Pan drop & Filter change every 50K) ---->See how far that gets me!
    Few things in my favor - I drive like a civilized human being - Good Maintenance Habits & She is only asked to Tow during the Summer Months.

It the 68RFE still decides to retire early - I will possibly do a fully built upgraded replacement---> (Still gathering Ideas) ---->Always thinking ahead!

Note: Have no experience with the New Ford HD 10 speed nor the New Allison 10 speed!

12. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Greg: I whole heartedly agree!
    I only hope they do it right the first time - No 2-3 yr guinea pigs!
    A (Serviceable) HD ZF 8sp or 10sp would be impressive.

Maybe Ram is secretly working on a 10sp Aisin Transmission? --->This might be the most logical & cost effective solution.
    I guess wait and see!

I'll stay positive with my 68RFE & Be stern with the Maintenance! I know adding the ATS thermal by-pass delete block increased longevity (Dropping temps drastically) - Also eliminated the chance for failure from overheating.
    Adding the PML pan (In the spring) with a drain plug will make for quick service every 25K miles (With a Actual 100% Synthetic ATF) & (Pan drop & Filter change every 50K) ---->See how far that gets me!
    Few things in my favor - I drive like a civilized human being - Good Maintenance Habits & She is only asked to Tow during the Summer Months.

It the 68RFE still decides to retire early - I will possibly do a fully built upgraded replacement---> (Still gathering Ideas) ---->Always thinking ahead!

Note: Have no experience with the New Ford HD 10 speed nor the New Allison 10 speed!
    Just curious, what kind of trans temp are you running with the delete block installed?

I think mine normally rides around 160-170 degrees regardless of driving normal or towing.

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Non-Towing Temps - 110 to 124*F
    Since the Delete Block was installed I think the highest temp I have witnessed towing a small 4K lb enclosed trailer 46 miles was 153*F. (Average speed was around 62 mph and ambient temp was in the 60's). This has been my ONLY towing adventure since the delete block was installed.

For those that tow alot in a warm climate - I feel this a ideal modification!
    For those who live in a cold climate 24/7 - I feel ya might just leave as is & (Try not to concern yourself with the possibility of failure of the OEM Thermal by-pass block).

Remember the MAIN reason for my doing the Delete was to eliminate the possibility of that TINY valve failing closed and causing a 68RFE failure due to overheating.
    The lower temps is just a major added benefit.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have looked this over many times and seeing roughly the same performance they aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here.

Just my .02 here but I am seeing the Ram being at least 800-ish lbs heavier than the GM if not closer to 1000.

So I am seeing the Cummins pulling more weight, more rolling resistance with 2 extra tires, 2 fewer cylinders and fewer gears pulling the hill at the same speed/time but at a lower rpm (the last time they show the Duramax tach is was 28-2900-ish) and ultimately using less fuel.

Rear end ratios favor the Cummins but in my humble opinion the Cummins is doing the better job here.

If they bust out a Silverado 3500HD with 4.10's and duallies I would like to see the results but I doubt it would be more than a few % if any.

When I add in the Cummins reliability vs the Duramax I still feel the Cummins is better engine but its hard not to be biased.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post