Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: 68RFE Odd Behavior when Cold

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE Odd Behavior when Cold

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior or if something is wrong, but when my truck is not yet operating temp my transmission won't shift into 6th or lock into overdrive.

I live on a highway so until I can at least get 6th gear, I go no faster than 50 mph to keep the revs down.

This is my first winter with my truck and I just ordered a block heater cable to help get everything warmed up.

I've searched this quite a bit but decided it was time to ask the question.

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Odd Behavior when Cold

Mine does the same. Stays in fluid coupling all the way through 5th and 6th until the transmission gets up to temp. Block heater is not going to help with this.

Only way to warm the trans up is to drive it, or maybe the best option if it's a problem is to get a heater you can slide under the transmission at night. - I think they make heaters designed for this, not just a regular space heater.

4. Thanks MrAnderson, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

This is normal. Until the trans fluid is around 60ish degrees it won’t go into 6th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Thanks MrAnderson, timshooter40, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It seemed to be around 60 degrees before it would shift up, so as long as it's normal that makes me happy. I've got 214,000 miles on the truck and was hoping the trans wasn't starting to go.

8. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thats normal.

The transmission is keeping the converter unlocked so it will put heat into the fluid.

10. Thanks MrAnderson, timshooter40, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Here’s an idea if you want to get the transmission warmed up quicker.

Adhere this to the transmission pan and plug it in at the same time as your block heater.

IMG_2483.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

12. Thanks watersupply189, 6.7 Coal Train, Blokhd, MrAnderson thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Blokhd, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Normal

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I haven't witnessed this issue yet - but I also between the 1500-3000 mile mark I performed (4) ATF transfusions with Red Line C+ ATF.
    Now my 68RFE has Triax Global Synthetic ATF flowing through its veins! (with zero issues)

Maybe just fortunate I guess - but I also have a 3 mile slow trek of 45mph before I reach the highway.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have about a 2 mile drive into town and it's usually warm enough to give me 6th before town but one day I went almost all the way through town before it warmed up enough.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The magic # is roughly 60 degrees.

The block heater does help, as the coolant in the block is warmer, and helps warm the trans fluid quicker.

We've had -20 a few days this season, as well as lots of mornings in the teens below, and mine heats way quicker on those cold days after being plugged in, vs. the above zero days I've been too lazy (I mean testing!) to plug it in.

I've got the cord on a timer, and run it roughly 3 hrs in the colder weather.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post