Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 98 GMC 12 Valve Swap

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

98 GMC 12 Valve Swap

Don't know if this is the proper section, so mods move it if needed.

I'd been looking and looking for another GM dually for awhile, and this one come up. Done some horse trading, and here she is. 98 GMC 4x4. The BB in it was knocking and the PO had already swapped the 4L80 out for a NV4500. Good deal because that's was my plans. Saved me some time and headache searching for one.

No time to waste. Got it in the shop and pulled the BB. Sold before it even hit the floor.

Pile of parts

12 valve pulled from the Dodge. I aint gonna lie, it kinda was sad. The old truck had been good to me, but she was tired and needed a lot of work.

Had to go to NV4500 school and learn all the differences. Mine ended up being a 95 model GM. Had to machine the Dodge bearing retainer to fit, install a Dodge input, and drill 2 new bottom bolt holes. Originally thought I was gonna have to tear down and swap the 4th gear because the PO said it was a 93 model. Got lucky and I didn't have to

Finally found a bellhousing for a good price. They are proud of them things! Motor and trans together, ready to stab in the truck.

Test fitting in the GMC.

My awesome motor mounts from Autoworld. Great people who know their stuff

Kinda lost touch with the camera while doing other stuff. Ended up having to move the trans crossmember back and shorten driveshaft 3". Removed 90% o the GM wiring and all the PCM. I didn't think I would need it, but ended up moving it to under the seat to run my speedo and fuel gauge. The PCM acts as a buffer for both. Here's my core support modified and installed.

Slowly getting there

First crank in GMC. Click pic for video

Mostly done with swap. Running and driving anyways

Had a few miles on it since swap. Doing pretty good. Looks good, but I had a problem

The 315 mudbrutes were old, dry rotted, and knotted. Rough and about throw you in the ditch it was so shakey. I had some brand new 245/75's in the shop that I put on.

Now that I like it a lot better with a more stock size tire, I'm gonna put the bodylift off. I installed it to make the swap more easier, but the more I look at it I can pull it. Just have to beat the firewall in some and mod my exhaust, radiator and IC hoses. I wish I could have found a 2wd, but this was a good deal and worked out perfect. 3.42 gears are going in it soon as I find time. The 4.10's are taching me out at 77mph, LOL.

Anyone whos interested in doing this swap I'll be glad to give you any advice. It was a pretty easy swap. I could have done it in a couple of days if I would have had all my parts and stuff starting. It took me just over 3 months having to save enough to buy this part, find this one, ect ect. Thanks for looking!

2. Likes Rockwerx, 5001craig liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

You put this in the right area.

Awesome build journal. Thanks for sharing.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Instagram Manager IG Operations's Avatar

User Info Menu

Seriously this is AWESOME.... Wow. Great job

Tag us @ #igotacummins_com to have your photos reposted.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

did you need any lift kit to clear the front driveshaft?

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Looks good how it is leave it! LOL.

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Right on!

Where's the real truck?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

nice build now got to do a soild axle swap

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

And now I miss my 88 chummins.... and my 87/88 fummins

Still wondering how you overcame the front driveshaft clearance to oilpan issue.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I was gonna do a SAS, but honestly I wish it was a 2wd. No need for 4x4 really. And the front driveshaft fits. Its tight, but it clears. Currently its out because I ended up putting in 3.42's in the rear. Don't wanna accidently put it in 4wd. That wouldn't be good, LOL. I'll probably never change the front gears or put the shaft back in anyways. I mostly just use it to drive back and forth to work. The 4.10's out on the highway was killing it. 2400 RPM @ 65 aint cool. The 3.42 got it down to a comfortable 1800. I have also modified the firewall and pulled the bodylift, pulled the cowcatcher bumper and put a stock chrome one on. Re-did my exhaust. Other than that I just been driving it. Some people ask me why I drive a 12 valve if I don't have no use for it. Well, I've always had a diesel pulling my 5th wheel trailer working all over the US. I don't do that anymore, but I still had my 12 valve. The dodge was wore out, and I always wanted to do a Cummins conversion. More of a hobby than anything really. Plus I get fuel for free, so why not? LOL.

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Nice thread.

Can I get some links to the NV4500 school?

I am looking to use a V10 trans and want to know everything about their flaws, differences, issues, and fitments.

For my son's build.

Ole Dad got roped into.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post