Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: DPF Issues with a 2015

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DPF Issues with a 2015

I just moved over to Cummins from an OBS Ford, 7.3.

Got a decent buy on a 2015 3500 6.7.

1 month into this and I am getting a 2493 code and a 0401 code that I can't do much with.

I am also losing coolant at a significant rate, 1 gal per 300 to 400 running miles.

The DEF gauge has not moved off of full in over 600 miles.

I keep coming back to the EGR cooler as the culprit. I can't find much on the P2493 code that makes enough sense to warrant a starting point.

I can pull out the EGR valve and the cooler and clean them but don't want to do the work if it is a well known spook.

The mileage is just over 91k. Truck runs good, pulls good but this is the 2nd code incident.

1st was a bad EGR gasket.

Truck was serviced on a factory recall back in May and a good portion of the exhaust system looks new.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not really interested in a delete at this time. I still have my OBS in the driveway and I can go back to it if I am going to have these issues long term.

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DPF Issues with a 2015

Thanks for the resounding silence.

Update: I pulled the EGR cooler out and cleaned it with Purple power, found my coolant leak in the process.

So here you go, the 2493 code appears with several messages most of which make little or no sense. Torque says "drive train". Insight says low circuit bank 2 EGR cooler circuit, which is not a valid code.

Took to Dealer they said the EGR cooler was bad and needed to be replaced. As stated, I pulled it and cleaned it. 3 o rings at 24.00 each & 8.00 in gaskets, and put it back. One of the o rings on the coolant tube over the EGR cooler and down to the fitment on the head was bad.

The resulting spray of coolant was evaporated immediately upon discharge from the tube due to the exhaust manifold heat. You would never find it. So if you have the leak and can't find it start there, 2 o rings.

The cooler needs to be cleaned every 65k miles, and trust me it does need it and don't reuse the o rings. I am sure these were reused if it had ever been cleaned.

Dealer wanted 1,000 to clean and 2800 to replace. It is work, but nothing mysterious. Over 700 miles on the fix, no codes, no coolant leaks.

So if you get P02493 or have a mystery coolant leak you have a starting point.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sorry for your troubles, but thank you for the run down on what to look for and solutions.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

5. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update and information that will help someone else.

Surprised and sorry you didn’t get any feedback on your original post.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

DPF Issues with a 2015

Thanks for the update friend.

I’m surprised nobody chimed in when you posted the first time.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

9. Likes timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Great Post- thanks for the info.

I was under the impression that the 67,500 mile rule was for 12 and under trucks, pre-DEF.

I haven't pulled my cooler yet but a cleaning is in order.

Did you have a hard time reaching the back bolts?

Thanks,

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post