Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shorted battery, P2509 code, no crank. Please help.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Shorted battery, P2509 code, no crank. Please help.

(posted this at CumminsForum also)

So, I messed up and connected my driver's side battery while the positive and negative cables were touching on the passenger side. Now I'm getting a P2509 (ECM/pcm power input signal intermittent code) and the truck will not even crank. When I turn the key to ON, everything lights up and seems to work as it should. But when I try to crank it, nothing. No click, no nothing. Here's what I've tried:

Checked all the fuses, the only one fried is the trailer 30 amp and looks like it's been that way for a while
    I tried shorting the starter relay and it just sparked.
    I did a parasitic draw test, 40 milliamps.
    Both Batteries are brand new Interstate group 31s and test at 12.8V.

I also noticed that my MM3 reads only 12 volts at the PCM after the grid heater shuts off. Not sure if that is below normal. Anyone care to check what there's is?

What should I check next? Did I fry my PCM?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Shorted battery, P2509 code, no crank. Please help.

Make sure you clear the trouble code first. 12V at PCM is okay with engine off, should be higher when running.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-jamahl-walker

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Swtjames23 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Shorted battery, P2509 code, no crank. Please help.

Thanks. I have cleared the codes multiple times but the P2509 never goes away.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So if I understand correctly you are able to clear the code and it comes back. The ECM relay would be the next thing to check.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Likes SyN liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

Here is a much more useful explanation of the code then that "pay me $80 to trouble shoot it link"

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2509

With that said I would check the fuses at the batteries. You probably popped one. Those little square things on the + terminals.
    I would pull the + cable from one battery at a time and see if you have voltage at the disconnected side of the cable coming from the other battery.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So if I understand correctly you are able to clear the code and it comes back.

The ECM relay would be the next thing to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I already checked all the fuses. Where is the ECM relay?

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Problem solved, it was the black "starter solenoid" relay or fuse in the fuse box. I checked all the fuses that I could visually but this one is black. I swapped it with the one next to it and it started right up. Thanks for the replies guys.

12. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swtjames23 View Post
    Problem solved, it was the black "starter solenoid" relay or fuse in the fuse box. I checked all the fuses that I could visually but this one is black. I swapped it with the one next to it and it started right up. Thanks for the replies guys.
    Good job, congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Likes SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

Quote Originally Posted by Swtjames23 View Post
    Hey friend, I'm having the same issue. Can you pin point exactly which fuse it was.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast