Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Extra Fuel Tank in my 2019 Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Extra Fuel Tank in my 2019 Cummins

I traded my Ecodiesel for the 2019 Cummins. The dealer did not care about the extra fuel tank I had. I did. I took it out and kept the darn thing. Then I just had to buy an RDS filler kit to use with my old 20-gallon tank. Here is how I installed it.

If you do this, remove the inner fender liner and loosen the fender supports so you can swing them out of the way. The Sawzall I used is a cheap Harbor Freight one that is rather large and hard to maneuver to cut that steel filler tube. On the tube piece you cut out, the side closest to the filler door cuts easily with the liner removed as in this picture. 4" inward toward the tank, it is easier to cut from underneath holding the saw up. Now just CUT and stop being afraid.

See...cut a piece right out. I pushed a magnet into each side of the remaining tube to grab metal shavings. Also started with a sweeper, the magnet, an oily rag, more magnet then another oily rag on a brush pushed way into each remaining filler side. When done I saw no sign of any metal so guessing there will be little problem catching stuff in the fuel filters. I also polished the cut before final cleaning so nothing would later break off.

Here is the filler piece from the RDS kit in position.

There is plenty of clearance for the filler and its shut-off ball valve. Now from underneath, you can see the hole I cut into the bed for the filler tube. I later added a grommet to seal off the hole and protect the tube.

Rather than drill the bed and mount the tank, I am trying a way to just hold it in position so I can move it for cleaning easier. Think it will work. Even used a vent pipe to hang the folding step I need to reach down to the fuel valve through the open cap window.

Now I have a 51-gallon fuel capacity on the "cheap" and am ready for towing without all the hassle with just the stock 31-gallon tank. I think it will work fine.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Extra Fuel Tank in my 2019 Cummins

Nice little set up. @CaptainMal

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks CaptainMal thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Nice setup Captain!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Thanks CaptainMal thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I did one very similar except mine is an additional 90 gal.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Capt543 View Post
    I did one very similar except mine is an additional 90 gal.
    Now that's a load of fuel. Great for serious transporting or long, major trailering. Of course, like a 5th wheel, you lose a lot of bed space.

I often lay fishing rods full-length in the bed, guns, tools, coolers and other things when running my truck. I really pack the bed at times. All the tools, supplies, jack and other parts I have in there now occupy the corners. That leaves me the whole center for "stuff". Though I would have use for a giant tank, it would not be reasonable when my goal is to extend my towing range to maybe 500 miles and near double that if not towing. Sure saves the stops, searching, anxiety, time and money to have a bit more fuel.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have a 38 gal an HR pump wired in to speed up the transfer of fuel . I can run a long long way

12. Likes watersupply189, CaptainMal liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Capt543 View Post
    I have a 38 gal an HR pump wired in to speed up the transfer of fuel . I can run a long long way
    Can you transfer if the pump breaks?

Not sure extra transfer speed over a full 1/2" tube flow is necessary but might be useful.

When I feel I need extra fuel, turn on the tap, it fills faster than I consume as I run - towing or solo.

If I had to reply on a pump then it would be a good idea to carry a syphon hose in case of a pump issue.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I had to have the pump.

It wouldn't transfer the last 30 gal or so without the pump.

At least not as fast as I drank it.

16. Likes watersupply189, CaptainMal liked this post