Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Tuner question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tuner question

Ok, Here is a problem that has had me stumped for awhile, mabe someone here that has had this problem and fixed it can pass the knowledge on.
    My 2012 RAM 6.7 cummins, auto which I deleted ran great for years, my Evic was even accurate. I would average approx 19-20 mpg per fill up until I messed up and let a dealer do an update. After the update my evic is now wrong, It reads what I should be getting, but now Im only getting 16-17 mpg per fillup. Seems the more city driving I do the more the evic is off. I upgraded from a mini maxx to mm3 hoping the newer tuner would fix whatever was done. No dice, still have the problem. I know its tuning related and in an area that is not generally modified with tuners. So, I wondering if possibly my injector codes were deleted by the dealer during the update and now causing the the extra fuel consumption and throwing the Evic off 10-15%. Or something else.

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tuner question

I assume you are hand calculating your mpg? Did you happen to change to a heavier tire about the same time? Have you checked your speedo against a gps for accuracy? Fuel and air filters all good? Winter blend fuel always hurts mpg's. Just throwing out ideas here. Your current milage sounds about right to me. I lost nearly 2 mpg when going from stock to larger tires. If in doubt, you could always throw the old mini maxx back on and see what you get. If you were getting 19-20 that's seems exceptional. If I remember correctly, you do your own tuning?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I ran into this a few years ago with my '12. It turned out to be the MAP sensor was a bit sooted up. My EGR is still on the truck and even though it is tuned out it appears that the butterfly was being pushed open at times.

I also lose about 2 mpg when we switch to winter blend fuel.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Tiger6.7 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yes, I hand calced, speedo is good to go.

Trust me when I say that it occurred after the dealer update. I had hoped it would have been the MAP and did install a new Cummins brand MAP.

Keepem coming.

7. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, Mdavlee liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I can agree. Have not added the tune to mine but mine started to read really low after the last radio flash update. The system seems to be really screwed up and is currently waiting for another update. I think ram has a system that makes the truck run like crap just before they want to change the ecm and bcm changes on the trucks.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

9. Likes Power247, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    I can agree. Have not added the tune to mine but mine started to read really low after the last radio flash update. The system seems to be really screwed up and is currently waiting for another update. I think ram has a system that makes the truck run like crap just before they want to change the ecm and bcm changes on the trucks.

using Tapatalk
    In regards to your radio waiting for another update see this link for possible fix.

https://kb.FCAwitech.com/article/344...ssage-949.html

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    In regards to your radio waiting for another update see this link for possible fix.

https://kb.FCAwitech.com/article/344...ssage-949.html

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

I really don't want another update.

The updates have caused more problems than I can count.

Same goes for FCA recalls as a recall for airbags was done but 2 years later I get a notice saying the recall was never finished and I have been driving around with a vehicle that may or may not have functioning airbags.

using Tapatalk

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    I really don't want another update.

The updates have caused more problems than I can count.

Same goes for FCA recalls as a recall for airbags was done but 2 years later I get a notice saying the recall was never finished and I have been driving around with a vehicle that may or may not have functioning airbags.

using Tapatalk
    Understood, I thought you were having the issue where you performed the radio update and kept getting the over the air update requests. Please disregard the link above that addresses this issue.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

No problem.

I had gone into the radio and under notices it had a notice for another update but it has yet to try and pop up.

I appreciate the tsb on the radio issues but I am starting to lean toward a whole new aftermarket radio and move away from the factory system.

using Tapatalk

17. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, CzechRooster liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Rule # 1 dont update. I violated rule #1 and am paying the price. I know someone out there knows what was done and how to fix. In Ca. you have to bend over and take their mandated ecm update to complete emissions testing.

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cwendel liked this post