Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck is finally here, about to sign papers so got some urgent questions!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Truck is finally here, about to sign papers so got some urgent questions!!!

Hey there, after long wait my factory ordered 3500 LTD is finally here.
    Got a package of documents to sign so here are some questions:

Talking to the finance manager, I agreed on (but didn't sign yet) on the following:
    - Protection Package, which covers exterior paint, interior leather and vinyl, rust protection and undercoat protection (CAD $1995)
    - Extended Warranty, which comes with free oil changes and covers whatever else Factory Warranty may not cover (CAD $6175)

Truck isn't going to be used a lot, so I'm not looking to spend much on oil changes (there won't be many).
    I will be removing / deactivating EGR some time soon and then doing a full delete later on, probably a few years down the road so that will cancel my Factory Power train Warranty.

I know it's kind of personal but are these add-ons, especially Extended Warranty, worth the money?

Then there's a bunch of miscellaneous charges (Etching, Road Hazard, Key Fob) that I'm going to talk to them about, one that really stands out is the ADDL AFTS for the tune of CAD $3495 - what the hell is that?? Some Anti-Theft BS I didn't ask for??

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Truck is finally here, about to sign papers so got some urgent questions!!!

I myself never pick these extras.

You have like 8k in warranty that prob would never be used.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shurup View Post

Talking to the finance manager, I agreed on (but didn't sign yet) on the following:
    - Protection Package, which covers exterior paint, interior leather and vinyl, rust protection and undercoat protection (CAD $1995)
    - Extended Warranty, which comes with free oil changes and covers whatever else Factory Warranty may not cover (CAD $6175)

Truck isn't going to be used a lot, so I'm not looking to spend much on oil changes (there won't be many).
    I will be removing / deactivating EGR some time soon and then doing a full delete later on, probably a few years down the road so that will cancel my Factory Power train Warranty.

I know it's kind of personal but are these add-ons, especially Extended Warranty, worth the money?

Then there's a bunch of miscellaneous charges (Etching, Road Hazard, Key Fob) that I'm going to talk to them about, one that really stands out is the ADDL AFTS for the tune of CAD $3495 - what the hell is that?? Some Anti-Theft BS I didn't ask for??
    Wow! Sounds like the stealership is wanting to take you to the bank. If your gonna delete then I wouldn’t get all that extra warranty stuff. I would just use the 3/36k factory warranty then delete! I have no clue what ADDL AFTS is? Congratulations on your new truck friend. Post a pic of it when you take delivery.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

5. Likes Thomas1960, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I am running EGR-less tuning on a 2016 with 0 issues Motor issues, one transmission issue (full trans replaced under warranty @75K miles), and 91K miles on her now I bought the extended warranty because mine covers the fuel system up to 200K miles I factored the CP3 and or injectors and figured the 5500(USD) extended warranty was worth it. I have used the extended warranty to cover wheel bearings and rental at 65K miles already (would have been an $1200 bill because of the rental, due to back ordered bearings). I got it on the contemplation of if I need it it will pay for itself, if not the peace of mind over the time is worth it.

Long and short, look at what the warranty covers, and for how long. Factor in what will happen when you delete how it will change coverage. With EGR-Less I can swap back to factory tuning in 5 minutes. You may find it is worth it, you may find it is a waste. I priced 6 injectors with connector tubes, and a CP3 pump, and said well all of that is covered to 200K miles, cross referenced the life expectancy of injectors on these 4th gens and factored, I MAY need them around 170K based on what others are saying but you still never know how they maintain their truck.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smartdave View Post
    I myself never pick these extras.

You have like 8k in warranty that prob would never be used.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    I'm firmly planted in this camp as well.

Declining extended warranty alone leaves $6k in your pocket for repairs before it would have been worth anything to you as is.

And deleting is going to make your warranty even more worthless.

9. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Congrats on your new truck.

I have the extended warranty on my GMC 2500 only had it in once for rear calipers in 4 years.

My 2012 Ram CTD had been undercoated from Krown at purchase and then recoated couple years ago.

Frame and undercarriage looks new still no rust at all.

I would just find a Krown dealer and let them take care of the rust protection in you live in Frozen Tundra also.

Post a picture when you you get it!

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You asked a question I asked to an extended warranty adviser.

Bought a new 2019 Cummins in September.

Got the usual solicitations to buy stuff like that and declined all.

Then one in the mail caught my eye about lifetime warranty. Never got to a price.

I asked it this warranty will apply after I delete the truck.

Silence.

Then got a bit of a run-around that did not answer the question. I ran away. Guessing the answer is, "No".

Aftermarket warranties are as good as the lawyer you hire to enforce them being honored.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

2019 3500 SRW, HO, Asian- 8500miles.

I turned down every option the dealer offered because I will likely delete.

The 3/36 bumper to bumper is your protection.

I figure after that its mine both for mods & cost of repairs.

These are good trucks, enjoy it, dont worry, everything mechanical is breaking down right now, just go with it and do your maintenance.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I opted for the rust proofing (almost $1000 CDN) but it was lifetime warranty. But that’s it. I knew in my heart that I was going to go the “spark plug removal Xbox dash mount” route before my factory warranty ever expires. I only use my truck in the summer for towing our camper and the odd road trip. My 2012 that I traded in only had 48,000 kms on it. (30,000 miles for my American friends ).
    2019 HO/Aisin dually.... put to bed for the winter with a whopping 2000kms on it. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Dodge 2500 6 inch suspension lift 4 inch body lift sitting on 41's DPF delete Straight pipe turbo back twin stacks road armour front and rear bumpers mini max tuner...tuned by DOUBLE R DIESEL

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shurup View Post

Don't bother with those!

Nothing but a waste of money esp if you are thinking of deleting.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast