Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Best DRD mileage tune, without trans tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Best DRD mileage tune, without trans tuning

Like the title says looking for 1 drd tune for best mileage. I only tow a bass boat, truck is on highway 95% of the time. Completely stock. What tune are yall seeing getting you the best mileage? Old school train of thought was run biggest tune you can and keep your foot out of it and you were going to get the best mileage. I'm coming from a duramax and using hptuners. New to the ram and cummins....
    TIA

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 mega cab 6.7

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Best DRD mileage tune, without trans tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Slshaneus View Post
    Like the title says looking for 1 drd tune for best mileage. I only tow a bass boat, truck is on highway 95% of the time. Completely stock. What tune are yall seeing getting you the best mileage? Old school train of thought was run biggest tune you can and keep your foot out of it and you were going to get the best mileage. I'm coming from a duramax and using hptuners. New to the ram and cummins....
    TIA

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 mega cab 6.7
    All DRD tunes come with trans tuning for the 68RFE. Are you looking for EGR-less or deleted? Running any tune without trans tuning is a bad idea for the 68RFE. I tow with the 60hp tune but I usually tow over 10k and don't want my EGT's to get too high. I usually get right around 11 MPG towing.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Best DRD mileage tune, without trans tuning

I don't think there are any DRD Tunes for 68RFE trucks that don't also include trans tuning.
    The higher HP tunes with a gentle foot usually return the better fuel mileage so that rule still holds true.

However, the 68RFE is just barely up to the task of surviving behind a stock power 6.7 Cummins. If you look at a 68RFE and an Allison side by side there is no comparison. The 68 is tiny and weak. You can spend may thousands trying to make a 68 strong enough to live behind an added power Cummins if you want.

I don't recommend running any added power on a stock 68. If you are very gentle on the throttle you can run added power but then whats the point? You still cant use it.

You can delete and run stock power, that is what I do. But with a truck as new as yours and with the EPA coming down on businesses and potentially people with the government hammer of Thor... I'm not sure if I would go that direction on a truck as new as yours.

If you use the truck for things it was designed to do... EG Run for extended periods at highway speeds and tow often, the emissions equipment should not give you any real problems for quite a while and you get to keep your warranty.

If you use the truck to take short trips around town, let it idle, don't tow a lot, don't take long trips with steady highway speeds often... the truth is that this isn't the truck for you. Sell it while it still has value, is still legal to operate on public roads and the transmission isn't grenaded. Then get you a gas powered truck or if you just love diesels you could find a Mint LBZ D-Max or even a nice Bulletproofed 6.0 Ford from 06-07. The transmissions are not junk in those trucks, they don't have DPF or DEF from stock and the EPA isn't cracking down on trucks that old.

If I had known that the EPA was going to go full Communist on us even with Trump as president I would have never bought the truck I have. I love the truck but now I got to worry about EPA police B.S. I bought it already deleted at 24k miles.

P.S. no Tuner is going to give you any information unless it is behind a paywall. They have all been forced out of business or underground by the EPA. It's not worth the risk to them anymore.

4. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Mdavlee, Power247 liked this post