Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery saver mode...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Battery saver mode...

Got the “battery saver mode” message Sunday mornin before I went to church.

I reckon it’s time fer new batteries, since a little huntin on whatever the hell this means turned up a buncha stuff about original batteries only lastin 3 years. If that’s the case, then it’s gittin to be time.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Battery saver mode...

Depends on the outside air temperature. The intake air grid heater cycling can trigger the battery saver mode when outside temperatures are near or below freezing. Wouldn’t hurt to have the batteries load tested anyway. If they test okay and it’s cold enough then battery saver mode is a normal event and nothing to worry about.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

3. Thanks BlackBart, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I haven’t got the battery saver message yet but I can tell my batteries are getting weak. My tunes failed to load the last several mornings and the truck turns over a little slower. Original batteries... just hate to spend all that money on batteries right at Christmas. LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

5. Likes AK Bob, cwendel, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Battery saver mode...

Yes I hear you! I guess I got lucky I was able to get 5 years of usable life from my original stock batteries 4 Alaskan winters. I decided to replace mine this spring with X2 Power AGM’s.

By the way 10 degrees last week and l entered battery saver mode.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cwendel, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I wouldn't worry about it.

I have been getting it on and off in the cold this winter occasionally if I'm taking a lot of short trips.

One longer trip and it's usually gone for quite some time after.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Even though my 2017 is parked over night in the garage - I invested in a Noco Genius G750 (Trickle Charger) with a quick connect & disconnect harness.
    During the winter months if I know the next few days are going to be brutally cold - I will plug the little charger in and turn on the surge protector (Takes about 1 min).

In about 6-8 hours both batteries are fully charged before I leave again for work. Seems to help a bit prolong battery life as well.
    Just a little piece of mind knowing both batteries are in good shape before going to work (12 hour shift) - When the outside temps are in the teens or below!

Got the idea from a relative whom uses the same set up and he still is running the OEM batteries in his 2015.
    Also Marion Blair (You Tube) - He has helped me out with alot of Pre-Maintenance ideas & advice.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I'm shocked hearing of 3, 5 years for batteries.

You should get 8 or more, even from the OEM's. I got 10 on my OEM's.

And for the trickle charger ... best suggestion made.

If I don't use my truck for 4 or 5 days I slap one on.

I have the NOCO genius g1100 and it keeps them in peak performance and charged.

Great investment for new or old.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Thanks watersupply189, timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

That would be pretty cool if you could wire a trickle charger into the block heater cord and then you'd be set with one plug all winter long.

14. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    That would be pretty cool if you could wire a trickle charger into the block heater cord and then you'd be set with one plug all winter long.

Seems to me you'd have to split the female connection after the plug-in the external power supply, then permanently install a trickle charger in the engine bay, run power wires to both units. Not sure I like the trickle charge permanently installed in the bay.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Seems to me you'd have to split the female connection after the plug-in the external power supply, then permanently install a trickle charger in the engine bay, run power wires to both units. Not sure I like the trickle charge permanently installed in the bay.
    It would be my luck if I did that on my truck that it would short out and burn to the ground. LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

17. Likes Aboshan liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast