Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGRLess - Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

EGRLess - Questions

Hi Folks, I have done a lot of reading here and still have a lot of unanswered/uncertainties around some of the technology/benefits/cons in doing an EGRless Tuning (DRD will be my choice)

Stock SWR 2017 3500 68RFE with around 18,000 miles on it. I have a factory extended warranty on it until 2024/100,000 miles.

Questions:

1. Why is EGRLess tuning not for trucks with over 50,000 miles on it?
    - from what i read, it is because the half life of the exhaust parts (DPF, and Exhaust system) is already at 50% spent or more, and doing an EGRLess will put more soot into it and quickly kill the downstream components?
    - if that is true, then if i put a EGRLess on my truck now, then does that mean when I hit 50,000 miles i am at risk of... ??

2. I haul a 20 foot 16,000k trailer, and a 32 foot travel trailer, and i DD this truck. Towing at 30HP, (the recommendation) will I be hurting/killing my truck? I don't understand what implications are here with this..

3. Warranty - basically I am voiding my warranty?

I think that's it for now. Thanks so much for you patience.

Cheers

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EGRLess - Questions

Quote Originally Posted by myfirstCTD View Post
    Hi Folks, I have done a lot of reading here and still have a lot of unanswered/uncertainties around some of the technology/benefits/cons in doing an EGRless Tuning (DRD will be my choice)

Stock SWR 2017 3500 68RFE with around 18,000 miles on it. I have a factory extended warranty on it until 2024/100,000 miles.

Questions:

1. Why is EGRLess tuning not for trucks with over 50,000 miles on it? - Stock exhaust gets close to plugging up.
    - from what i read, it is because the half life of the exhaust parts (DPF, and Exhaust system) is already at 50% spent or more, and doing an EGRLess will put more soot into it and quickly kill the downstream components?
    - if that is true, then if i put a EGRLess on my truck now, then does that mean when I hit 50,000 miles i am at risk of... ??

2. I haul a 20 foot 16,000k trailer, and a 32 foot travel trailer, and i DD this truck. Towing at 30HP, (the recommendation) will I be hurting/killing my truck? I don't understand what implications are here with this.. - Always tow in 30HP to be safe and not beat the trans.

3. Warranty - basically I am voiding my warranty? - Only on what you touched friend. They can't deny a brake issue or say window motor of tuning.

Cheers
    Answers in bold.

Thank you,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Questions:
    1. Why is EGRless tuning not for trucks with over 50,000 miles on it?
    - from what i read, it is because the half life of the exhaust parts (DPF, and Exhaust system) is already at 50% spent or more, and doing an EGRless will put more soot into it and quickly kill the downstream components?
    - if that is true, then if i put a EGRless on my truck now, then does that mean when I hit 50,000 miles i am at risk of... ??

2. I haul a 20 foot 16,000k trailer, and a 32 foot travel trailer, and i DD this truck. Towing at 30hp, (the recommendation) will I be hurting/killing my truck? i dont understand what implications are here with this..

3. Warranty - basically i am voiding my warranty?

I think thats it for now. Thanks so much for you patience.

Cheers
    When I had EGR less tuning on my truck my dealer threatened to void my warranty, I bought my truck brand new and got suckered into the extended warranty. The next day I ordered everything for deleting and went to the dealer and got my money back for the extended warranty.

You will use more DEF with EGR less tuning. You are making the DPF / SCR work harder to make your exhaust "clean".

EGR less tuning is not recommended for trucks that idle for long periods of time.

With the 30hp tune you will be helping your truck because you get transmission tuning with the 68RFE.

I got better MPG's with EGR less tuning compared to deleted. Probably because I can actually hear the exhaust now and its hard to keep my foot from pushing hard on the right pedal.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Agree with all of the above! ^^^^^

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I agree also except my thought is the 30 HP tune when towing is recommended in order to try and keep the EGT’s at safe levels.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Okay thanks folks.

Much appreciated.

Cheers!

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Questions:

1. Why is EGRLess tuning not for trucks with over 50,000 miles on it?
    - if that is true, then if i put a EGRLess on my truck now, then does that mean when I hit 50,000 miles i am at risk of... ?? I installed my tuning at 7K miles, I am at 91K miles now with no engine issues the whole time I have been tuned

2. I haul a 20 foot 16,000k trailer, and a 32 foot travel trailer, and i DD this truck. Towing at 30HP, (the recommendation) will I be hurting/killing my truck? I don't understand what implications are here with this.. I tow on a 30hp most of the time, I have used the 60hp when out on the highway

3. Warranty - basically I am voiding my warranty? dealer still did full trans replacement under warranty at 75K miles, and I didn't uninstall the egr-less tuning

Cheers

I have been running this tuning since 7K miles on my 2016 ram 2500 with the 68RFE trans. That was nov of 2016 that I installed the tuner. I am at 91K miles now, and have had no engine issues. I tow everything from a 10ft trailer with a lawn mower, to a 26ft trailer with a case 580 on it. (read as 18K lbs ) Rumor has it I am the highest mileage EGR-Less that @DRD has done and maybe Ray can confirm or deny that claim.

I have a few recommendations regarding this as well.

1. maintenance, do it regularly, I follow 7500 mile rule
    2. drive it like a truck, work it regularly,
    3. romp on it sometimes, I get out on the highway every few weeks and hit 80 or 90 and hold it there for 10 minutes or so and help it heat up and in theory clean out a bit.

for the most part I leave it in the 30hp tune unless some rice rocket thinks he has a chance at beating me off the line..... I have a go fast car for the racing.......

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

When you delete just the EGR I would turn off post and get proper tuning. A good tuner that write a smoke free tune should keep your DPF happy and reduce Regens. I played around with emission intact tuning for awhile. I wrapped my exhaust pipe from the turbo to and including both emission cans with header wrap. Doing this will keep the exhaust gases hot which will promote passive Regens rather than fuel sucking active Regens.

15. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The straight dope.

1. Because the without the EGR you are not re-burning the soot. You are sending it all to the filter in your exhaust pipe. That will cause it to get filled with soot faster. If you have some miles on your truck your exhaust filter is likely already partially clogged. A tuner does not want you to buy their tuning that is harder on exhaust filters when you already have a mostly clogged exhaust filter and then get mad at them when their EGRless tuning finishes it off. You are at risk of high exhaust back pressure and causing your truck to run in perpetual Regen mode which is Hell on fuel mileage and Hell on your engine. Bad news.

2. Towing and using your truck as a truck is the best thing you can do to keep your emissions system from failing. Long idle times and short trips around town are the worst things you can do for your emissions systems. These systems were designed to function on trucks that haul loads down the highway all day every day. If these trucks are used like a Nissan Sentra the emissions systems are going to fail early and often.
    The 68RFE is a barely good enough light duty POS that should have never been installed behind a Cummins I-6. Stock power is all that it can take. If you tune, run the lowest HP possible at all times unless the cost of a replacement transmission is not a concern to you.

3. Yes 100% no questions asked. The dealer can tell if you have modified the parameters in the ECM and when you did it. You are effectively throwing your warranty in the garbage unless you have a dealer that understands and doesn't care. They do exist. But if they are looking for a way out of honoring the warranty. You just handed them one on a silver platter.

Sorry, that is just the way it is.

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    The straight dope.

1. Because the without the EGR you are not re-burning the soot. You are sending it all to the filter in your exhaust pipe. That will cause it to get filled with soot faster. If you have some miles on your truck your exhaust filter is likely already partially clogged. A tuner does not want you to buy their tuning that is harder on exhaust filters when you already have a mostly clogged exhaust filter and then get mad at them when their EGRless tuning finishes it off. You are at risk of high exhaust back pressure and causing your truck to run in perpetual Regen mode which is Hell on fuel mileage and Hell on your engine. Bad news.

2. Towing and using your truck as a truck is the best thing you can do to keep your emissions system from failing. Long idle times and short trips around town are the worst things you can do for your emissions systems. These systems were designed to function on trucks that haul loads down the highway all day every day. If these trucks are used like a Nissan Sentra the emissions systems are going to fail early and often.
    The 68RFE is a barely good enough light duty POS that should have never been installed behind a Cummins I-6. Stock power is all that it can take. If you tune, run the lowest HP possible at all times unless the cost of a replacement transmission is not a concern to you.

3. Yes 100% no questions asked. The dealer can tell if you have modified the parameters in the ECM and when you did it. You are effectively throwing your warranty in the garbage unless you have a dealer that understands and doesn't care. They do exist. But if they are looking for a way out of honoring the warranty. You just handed them one on a silver platter.

Sorry, that is just the way it is.
    Well said friend!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

19. Thanks Aj Grubb thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast