Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  78
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Made a Mistake Last Night

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Made a Mistake Last Night

UPDATE:

Well now the DeF tank gauge is going from empty to full. So I guess I'll drop the tank and see what I can find out. I will do that tomorrow I guess.

I say yhis because I hit a bump in the road and the cash gauge goes from e to f. Or 1/2 full until the next bump. Uggggg

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mdg66 View Post
    UPDATE:

Well now the DeF tank gauge is going from empty to full. So I guess I'll drop the tank and see what I can find out. I will do that tomorrow I guess.

I say yhis because I hit a bump in the road and the cash gauge goes from e to f. Or 1/2 full until the next bump. Uggggg
    Hopefully it’s just a loose connection. Here is all the information I could find on the DEF tank gauge system.

DEF GAUGE
    The Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) gauge gives an indication to the vehicle operator of the level of DEF in the DEF tank. This gauge is controlled by the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and a bus message received by the cluster. This bus message is based upon a hard-wired input received by the Body Control Module (BCM) from the DEF level sending unit, located in the DEF tank.
    The DEF gauge is a stepper motor design unit that receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the ON or START positions. The cluster is programmed to move the gauge needle back to the low end of the scale after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) electronic circuitry controls the gauge needle position.
    The BCM continually monitors the DEF tank sending unit to determine the level of fuel in the fuel tank. The BCM then sends the proper electronic fuel level message to other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.

If you do decide you need to remove the tank here is the procedure for that. Hopefully this information will be of some help.
    DEF Tank.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info...still troubleshooting.

A new Urea pump/level kit is about a grand.

I went by the dodge dealership and they said 2200 dollars installed. LOL still troubleshooting.......LOL

6. Likes AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

UPDATE:

First off happy new year!!!

I have visited the dealership and a private mechanic and they both stated I need to replace the "Urea Pump Level Unit Module Kit" and maybe the injector. I had to go back offshore to work and took the back up vehicle (after I installed a clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing (Yea!!) BMW's are a pain in the arrs! When I get home I will trouble shoot some more and figure out what to do.

Thanks again everyone for the advice as it was truly appreciated.

8. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25
    Permanent Vacation cumminsturbofreak's Avatar

User Info Menu

Well, when you get back, maybe find a def module off of a deleted truck? Maybe there’s one on eBay?

Good luck!

10. Thanks mdg66 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

See my previous comment. This whole situation sounds like a complete PITA. Sorry, Guy.

12. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40, Murph liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Seems like a good reason to delete it to me!

14. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

While putting in some diesel additive last night a "gentleman" interrupted me trying to sell me a coat so he could put gas in his SUV.

I mistakenly put the fuel supplement into the DEF tank.

It was 8 oz and I am not sure what to do, if anything.

I read earlier where some have flushed their tanks after a delete.

So maybe I should empty the contents then add clean DEF.

Unless some one else has done this (I doubt it) and everything was fine.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Oh I did drive it about 100 miles the gauge on the DEF is 3/4 full.

Not dash lights came on....yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    What fuel additive did you happen to use?

If it was me I would keep it full and dilute but like stated you will run the risk of issues and the possibility of being on the side of the road.

The SCR system is crazy sensitive and a pain to deal with LOL.
    The additive is petroleum based and Urea is water. They don't mix. The additive is combustible and could damage the system. Drain and refill . Fortunately, the DEF should float

Sheeesh Clay

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    The additive is petroleum based and Urea is water. They don't mix. The additive is combustible and could damage the system. Drain and refill . Fortunately, the DEF should float

Sheeesh Clay

LOL! Wow this one completely went over my head hahah! I read that thing completely all wrong.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

While putting in some diesel additive last night a "gentleman" interrupted me trying to sell me a coat so he could put gas in his SUV.

I mistakenly put the fuel supplement into the DEF tank.

It was 8 oz and I am not sure what to do, if anything.

I read earlier where some have flushed their tanks after a delete.

So maybe I should empty the contents then add clean DEF.

Unless some one else has done this (I doubt it) and everything was fine.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Oh I did drive it about 100 miles the gauge on the DEF is 3/4 full.

Not dash lights came on....yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDP View Post
    LOL! Wow this one completely went over my head hahah! I read that thing completely all wrong.
    I just couldn't resist it!

HNtAk8m (1).jpg

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

20. Likes builttalast liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast