Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Go-To Ball Joints?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Current Go-To Ball Joints?

I bought new tires a few weeks back and took it in for an alignment due to some sway.

They said my uppers are due, but of course I'm going to go ahead and get them all done.

All of the local shops are quoting around $1300 for OEM replacement, which is enough motivation to mess with it myself or at least source the parts myself, especially since this could be a consistent 2-3 year thing.

My 2013 2500 Lonestar Mega is stock as far as the front end and tire size is concerned. What is the next best thing below Carlys and Dynatrac?

Is OEM going to be my best bet, or should I go for the AC Delcos?

I read some good things on some old threads about Raysbestos, but can't seem to find if they still make them for my rig.

Thanks guys!

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Current Go-To Ball Joints?

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I just had my whole front end done.

Majority of the parts were Moog.

All joints had grease zerts and are heavy duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, mdg66, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I just installed some Carli Lifetime Ball-joints, they are $800 for the full set but and guaranteed for life.

Also a lot of techs don't know that up down play in ball joints is normal just no side to side.

SO make sure they are not just selling you something you don't need.

Do some research and you will find what I'm talking about.

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

8. Thanks PullinAir thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, PullinAir, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 57buick View Post
    Also a lot of techs don't know that up down play in ball joints is normal just no side to side.
    @57buick

I just had some new shoes put on the truck (Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT's - stock size) and the tech told me the ball joints need to be replaced - there was play up and down - no side to side movement.

Do you have the links or any info I can go to research the up and down play?

The tech did say it wasn't much movement.

Thanks!

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

10. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PullinAir View Post
    @57buick

I just had some new shoes put on the truck (Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT's - stock size) and the tech told me the ball joints need to be replaced - there was play up and down - no side to side movement.

Do you have the links or any info I can go to research the up and down play?

The tech did say it wasn't much movement.

Thanks!
    There are several documents online about this but here is Thuren Fabrications take on it.

According to him vertical play is normal for a brand new truck off the lot.

Look at balljoints at the bottom of the page.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/te...-handling.html

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

12. Thanks PullinAir, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 57buick View Post
    There are several documents online about this but here is Thuren Fabrications take on it.

According to him vertical play is normal for a brand new truck off the lot.

Look at balljoints at the bottom of the page.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/te...-handling.html
    @57buick

Thanks!

I have an appointment next Tuesday to have the truck aligned - the guy I talked to on the phone knew about the Thuren specs for the dodge trucks and was happy to do it. He even told me not to worry about vertical play and that the to toe in was probably off.

The tires I had taken off were starting to have chunks taken out of the outside edge.

I had put the truck up on jacks earlier in the week and yanked on the tire and didn't get any side to side play (hands at 3 & 9 on the tire) or top to bottom play (hands at 12 & 6).

I did not check the vertical play of the ball joints.

I've only had the truck for a little while (approx 3k miles ish), the old tires were almost 6yrs old and I don't know how often they were rotated, etc.

Edit: The truck tracks straight with no wander, the only concern I had was the wear on the tires.

2010 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn 4x4, Yukon Gear & Axle YP C5-C11.5 Rear Diff Cover, A.R.E. V Series Truck Cap

14. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timshooter40 View Post
    Great looking ride Sir, what are the specs on your lift?

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Great looking ride Sir, what are the specs on your lift?
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I have been working at Remote sights and don't have service till I come home every couple of weeks.

My truck is just leveled.

I have thuren 3" coils in front with fox shocks track bar and Thuren sway bar.

I left the stock coils in the rear and added fox shocks and the Thuren track bar for the rear.

Made a huge difference in ride quality and handling.

I wish I could afford the king 2.5 shocks, but maybe later.

Worth the money I spent on all Thuren products, great customer service and very helpful with everything.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

18. Thanks watersupply189, SyN, Murph thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, Murph liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Rt on!

Thx.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast