Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing Death Wobble Question(s)

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Preventing Death Wobble Question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    Interestin to read about them BF Goodrich tires. I never liked em. When my Firestones wear out I might go with Michlins.
    You might also look at Cooper tires their A /T series tire do really well around here good milage and good in snow dirt/ mud.

I have had really good luck with them also.

45000 on my last set.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

2. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Interestin to read about them BF Goodrich tires. I never liked em. When my Firestones wear out I might go with Michlins.
    I’d be wary of Michelin’s. The last three sets I’ve owned on different vehicles the dang sidewalls dry rotted out before the tread was even a 1/4 worn.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks BlackBart, timshooter40 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I’d be wary of Michelin’s. The last three sets I’ve owned on different vehicles the dang sidewalls dry rotted out before the tread was even a 1/4 worn.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Really?

Wow... I’d heard they’d rot before ya ever wore em out... but that should mean gittin about 100k out of em.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Really?

Wow... I’d heard they’d rot before ya ever wore em out... but that should mean gittin about 100k out of em.
    Yeah got maybe 40,000 out of them and had to replace. It was really expensive when I had my dually.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Preventing Death Wobble Question(s)

I agree with CMB..jack the front of your truck up and look for slop in the wheel.. also crawl under and look at the rubber on the ball joints... it may looked cracked or torn.

I didn’t realize I needed my ball joints replaced until I got “the death wobble” OMG it felt like my truck was going to self-destruct!!

I had new ball joints installed, also installed a steering brace and a new steering damper shock.. also got an alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 2500 CCSB 4x4 (68RFE) 5” FlowPro TBE W/Twister, MM3 Tuned by DRD, TVD, EGR Delete, Shibby plug kit, 2” level kit, Bilstien 5100, 35” Ridge Grapplers, 20” XD Addict wheels, N-fab 3 step Nerf bars, AMP rear Step, Firestone air-bags, Torque Lift stable loads.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, Mdavlee liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Duplicate post. Please delete.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tcreamer View Post
    I have used the search function and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I had my oil changed and tires rotated today and received a call that my ball joints were starting to create abnormal wear on my front tires.

Questions:

1. What can I do to verify that this is true, besides looking at "abnormal" tread wear?
    2. Is this the beginning of the dreaded death wobble?
    3. What other components do i need to consider for replacement at this point and how do I check these additional items for excessive wear for replacement?
    4. What are some good brands that wont break the bank but are an improvement over stock.

Truck info: 2015 Ram 2500, Diesel (deleted), 70,000 miles, everything else is stock on the truck.

Thanks for guidance!
    Great response! I will be putting Thuren parts on my truck in the near future when I get to about 15k miles or so.

Also to the OP regarding tires, I'm currently having really good luck with the Cooper AT3 XLT.

Let me know if you need any Thuren stuff!

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Yeah got maybe 40,000 out of them and had to replace. It was really expensive when I had my dually.

Had a set of Goodyear Wranglers on a Ford Ranger.. got 82K out of em before tradin it in for the Ram.

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

How much slop is acceptable?

A couple weeks ago I had the truck jacked up and checks the hall joints.

The driver side was tight with no slop at all.

The passenger side had just the slightest amount of up down slop.

It’s a 2018 with 90k miles, I put a steering box stabilizer and adjustable track on it when it was new.

2018 2500, 6.7 Cummins, black, stock drive train, Carli 2.5 leveling kit, 18x9 Method Nv wheels, Cooper AT3 XLT, 68RFE, DRD delete tuning

17. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Preventing Death Wobble Question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    How much slop is acceptable?

A couple weeks ago I had the truck jacked up and checks the hall joints.

The driver side was tight with no slop at all.

The passenger side had just the slightest amount of up down slop.

It’s a 2018 with 90k miles, I put a steering box stabilizer and adjustable track on it when it was new.
    Here’s a great article from an expert on these trucks.

According to Thuren slight vertical play in ball joints will likely not create DW by itself.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/te...-in-depth.html

Edit - looks like TimShooter40 already shared that article earlier, sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12