Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Further exhaust brake issues

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Further exhaust brake issues

So with NY weather dipping into the teens I've been attempting to use my exhaust brake to warm the truck up faster.

I’m fully deleted with DRD warp tuning.

Originally my exhaust brake worked as it should, nice and smooth. Turbo spooled up and it would sit and whistle away until it was warm. Then I noticed a surge in the turbo during warm up with the exhaust brake on.

Now further down the road, when I turn the exhaust brake on now it attempts to spool up then kicks out and just keeps repeating the process. It’s pretty hard to explain. It will whistle lightly then start to really attempt to go full jet turbine engine LOL but seems to fail and restart the process over and over.

The exhaust brake still functions like normal when driving. I’ve had the truck do some crazy things since the delete and tune and I’m really just starting to get frustrated.

At one point I engaged the whistle tune, then tried to engage the high idle tune and I thought I blew the damn thing up.

It started dumpinggggg white smoke out of the exhaust and sounded like a pile of crap. I shut it down and fired it back up with no issue after.

Another time just recently while it was real cold I fired the truck up, put it in stock tune, hit the high idle RT and all the sudden the idle started fluctuating like crazy and threw an engine code for throttle position sensor or something along those lines. I again shut the truck down and cleared the codes with the MM3 and fired it back up with no further issues.

Just seems like I’m clenching my butt cheeks every time I hit an RT enable on this thing because I’ve had so many issues while doing so. There’s been more than those issues listed as well. I’m just wondering if maybe something has went funky with the tunes or if I have an issue somewhere else. If I just drive the truck and don’t mess with the tuner I have zero issues and the trucks a beast.

As soon as I start playing with all the features I paid for with the tuning things start to go haywire I’d say 50% of the time.

Sorry for the long post and multiple issues but I’m trying to address everything at once.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Further exhaust brake issues

Check both your batteries with a load tester.

The MM3 needs a lot of juice.

You could try and trickle charge each battery if they are low or just replace them both.

How old are your batteries?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes InlineSix.7 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

At least yours trys to whistle and warm up.

Mine never has LOL even in the 20s my 09 would do it at 40.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You know, that’s a good thought.

Just recently it’s been giving a message on the dash saying battery saving mode active when I start it up.

While the truck sits there and attempts to spook up my cab lights dim and and you can definitely tell it’s straining the battery’s.

I will go get them load tested today!

Idk why that never crossed my mind.

Though it was doing these funky things over the summer even before I was getting any dash messages saying battery saving mode active.

So not 100% sure I can attest all the problems to low batteries.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickD View Post
    You know, that’s a good thought.

Just recently it’s been giving a message on the dash saying battery saving mode active when I start it up.

While the truck sits there and attempts to spook up my cab lights dim and and you can definitely tell it’s straining the battery’s.

I will go get them load tested today!

Idk why that never crossed my mind.

Though it was doing these funky things over the summer even before I was getting any dash messages saying battery saving mode active.

So not 100% sure I can attest all the problems to low batteries.
    Keep us informed what you find friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

@DRD what are your thoughts?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Low voltage can cause all sorts of RT issues, so that is a possibility.

With regards to exhaust brake and whistle tune issues, could simply be the turbo actuator not wanting to hold steady at idle any longer. That does happen with wear. Could be a problem with exhaust back pressure sensor circuit...malfunctioning sensors or shorting wires can cause turbo surging there also.

With regards with a high idle tune, we dont even offer those any longer because the newer Chrysler base files we use now do like the idle speed to be changed on G56 trucks. Instead of the idle speed raising up, the trucks will lope instead.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.