Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Distance from receiver to the ball.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Distance from receiver to the ball.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows of any advantage or disadvantage to a hitch that is closer or further away from the receiver/ bumper.

I am currently running a hitch setup I picked up at Tractor Supply. It's a tri-ball contraption that drops the ball a few inches. I'm not sure what the hitch is rated for but I'm probably pushing the limits even on the 2 5/16 ball. It extends a considerable distance from the receiver which is nice when backing up in tight quarters as it clears the tool box mounted on the trailer tongue. I guess this is one advantage. I'm considering the GenY for its 16K rating.

Is it better to be as close as possible to the receiver or does it not really matter? Most loads are 10-14k.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Last edited by CMB; 11-30-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Doesn't like small android fractions numbers "?" ?
    2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

2. Thanks Trashslinger26 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Distance from receiver to the ball.

Generally, the closer the better.
    A gooseneck or 5th wheel is more stable @ the same weight vs a bumper pull because the trailer weight is centered above the rear axle. That said its not likely you would even notice a few inch difference in a bumper pull(especially on a Ram/Cummins beast), more important to get your tongue weight correct and trailer center of gravity forward of the trailer wheels.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feed back. I was quite surprised how far the tractor supply set up extends from the receiver.

Much like this one:

Screenshot_20191204-181914_Chrome.jpg

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Thanks for the feed back. I was quite surprised how far the tractor supply set up extends from the receiver.

Much like this one:

That’s the exact receiver setup I have on my truck!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

7. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post

Much like this one:

I like that, very handy when you have a few trailers with different ***** and heights!!

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmarchjr View Post
    I like that, very handy when you have a few trailers with different ***** and heights!!
    It’s very heavy duty. The receiver that goes into the truck is solid steel and not hollow like a lot of the receivers you see at the auto parts stores. The three way ball is an awesome feature.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

11. Likes AK Bob, Power247 liked this post