Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Front Brake Issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Front Brake Issue

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7, 200k on the clock. I replaced the front brake calipers, installed new rotors and of course new pads. I also replaced the front brake lines and wheel bearings. I bled the system twice. First time was pumping up the pedal and having a friend crack the bleeders, right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Pedal seemed good. I went ahead and pressured up the master cylinder with one of those pump bottles (10-12 psi) and bled again and got a solid stream of fluid from all 4 corners.
    I drove the truck from CA to MT and started to notice a build up of brake dust on the driver side front wheel only. Does anyone have an idea of what this may be? 1st photo is the driver side, 2nd is the passenger side
    The truck tracks straight and brakes straight and the wheel isn’t any warmer to the touch than the passenger side after stopping for fuel.
    The vehicle is new to me and the only reason I did the brake job was bc of the uneven wear I discovered doing an inspection after the purchase. Looks like the problem still exists. Any direction I can take to remedy this problem?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Front Brake Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyhoracio View Post
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7, 200k on the clock. I replaced the front brake calipers, installed new rotors and of course new pads. I also replaced the front brake lines and wheel bearings. I bled the system twice. First time was pumping up the pedal and having a friend crack the bleeders, right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Pedal seemed good. I went ahead and pressured up the master cylinder with one of those pump bottles (10-12 psi) and bled again and got a solid stream of fluid from all 4 corners.
    I drove the truck from CA to MT and started to notice a build up of brake dust on the driver side front wheel only. Does anyone have an idea of what this may be? 1st photo is the driver side, 2nd is the passenger side
    The truck tracks straight and brakes straight and the wheel isn’t any warmer to the touch than the passenger side after stopping for fuel.
    The vehicle is new to me and the only reason I did the brake job was bc of the uneven wear I discovered doing an inspection after the purchase. Looks like the problem still exists. Any direction I can take to remedy this problem?
    Looks like the drivers side caliper maybe sticking oh so slightly.
    Silly question but you don’t happen to drive with one foot up against the brake pedal and the other on the accelerator? This could cause an issue also. I’ve seen a lot of that. LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I wish it was that simple, but no, that’s not the case. It was an obvious issue before I purchased the truck. I figured by all the repairs and replacements I made, I’d surely rectify the uneven wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree with @watersupply189.

Might consider rebuilding the caliper.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Here's one for you.....

I had the same problem. I have done many brake jobs and this is unique. Even though there is a stainless insert that goes into the caliper bracket the pocket that holds that insert will rust. I went thru a full set of pads before I realized what was happening. The caliper will release fine but the pad will get stuck in the channel in rides in. I spent a few hours filling the opening to be sure the pads slid freely through the entire opening. This may be your issue. Yup, I was quite frustrated.

Hope this helps and good luck!

CMB

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post