Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down pipe

1. Top Of Page | #1

Cool Down pipe

Hi guys. I tried doing some reading on previous posts but couldn’t find what I was looking for.
    I have a 2018 Cummins. I ordered a 4” exhaust and when It got to my house I opened the box and realized it’s not turbo back, it’s a down pipe back so basically what I am trying to figure out is if there is a CAT on the factory down pipe or is that a flex joint I see? If it is a flex joint I plan on using what I have but if it’s a cat I’m gona try to buy turbo back because I would like everything deleted. Thanks and sorry if that is confusing!!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Down pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Mchance94 View Post
    Hi guys. I tried doing some reading on previous posts but couldn’t find what I was looking for.
    I have a 2018 Cummins. I ordered a 4” exhaust and when It got to my house I opened the box and realized it’s not turbo back, it’s a down pipe back so basically what I am trying to figure out is if there is a CAT on the factory down pipe or is that a flex joint I see? If it is a flex joint I plan on using what I have but if it’s a cat I’m gona try to buy turbo back because I would like everything deleted. Thanks and sorry if that is confusing!!
    That is a resonator. I left mine on because it helps cut down on the drone. I only did the SS delete pipe and used the rest of my factory exhaust. Saved a lot of $$$ doing that.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

So you don’t think the restriction is enough to worry about ??

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

Also do I need to worry about it getting clogged up over time ??

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So you don’t think the restriction is enough to worry about ??
    Very little restriction

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

10. Thanks Houairman thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Also do I need to worry about it getting clogged up over time ??
    It won’t clog like the DPF and SCR will. Think of it as a little mini muffler. LOL

12. Top Of Page | #7

I like the way you worded that.

Thank you the more I look when doing 4” mostly all the kits are down pipe back which makes me believe it’s not that big of a deal.

Another thought in my head is am I going to need a collector gasket when bolting up to the down pipe, this is my first diesel sorry for all the little questions.

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Down pipe

There should be a metal type gasket between the turbo and the down-pipe that you can reuse as long as it doesn’t get bent.

Just be patient when bolting it up as you have to keep everything aligned just so.

^^ sorry, thought you were asking about the gasket farther up the line at the turbo/down-pipe connection.

If you got a delete pipe for the DPF it should come with a new collector gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I like the way you worded that.

Thank you the more I look when doing 4” mostly all the kits are down pipe back which makes me believe it’s not that big of a deal.

Another thought in my head is am I going to need a collector gasket when bolting up to the down pipe, this is my first diesel sorry for all the little questions.
    Yes sir it’s not that big a deal.

The gasket is metal and you can reuse the gasket as long as you don’t booger it up removing it.

17. Likes InlineSix.7 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Unless Ram changed something, that is a flex joint as on my 2015. The 2013 models had a small Cat at that location. I ordered a turbo back system because some info out there claimed it was a Cat only to find out it was a flex joint. Unless you go to a 5" exhaust, the factory downpipe with the flex joint is better than any aftermarket set up in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast