Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G56 popping out of 6th gear

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

G56 popping out of 6th gear

hello all new member here, just joined so i could start a thread on my title listed above, i recently bought a used 2017 mega cab with a G56 off a private owner in my area, truck only has 26,000 on it, test drove the truck and all was fine, bought it and on my way home while coasting down a hill with the exhaust brake on the truck popped out of 6th gear, i thought hmph thats odd but maybe it was just a fluke,that night we loaded two SXS on a 20ft trailer and headed down to Kentucky from pa, the truck popped out of 6th gear multiple times on the trip down, on the way back I turned off the exhaust brake, which seemed to help but it still did it a couple times, after some searching on google I have found a few other people saying theirs has done the same (mostly 2017s, when pulling a load, and with the exhaust brake on) has anyone heard of this issue or have an idea of something I could look for to be a problem? I thought about pulling the shifter and looking at the shift tower to see if something is misaligned, the truck has a southbend 3250 in it, I haven't taken it to a dealer yet because the truck is deleted and tuned so not sure if they're gonna tell me to fly a kite or not, thanks for any info

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: G56 popping out of 6th gear

Quote Originally Posted by Caltman View Post
    hello all new member here, just joined so i could start a thread on my title listed above, i recently bought a used 2017 mega cab with a G56 off a private owner in my area, truck only has 26,000 on it, test drove the truck and all was fine, bought it and on my way home while coasting down a hill with the exhaust brake on the truck popped out of 6th gear, i thought hmph thats odd but maybe it was just a fluke,that night we loaded two SXS on a 20ft trailer and headed down to Kentucky from pa, the truck popped out of 6th gear multiple times on the trip down, on the way back I turned off the exhaust brake, which seemed to help but it still did it a couple times, after some searching on google I have found a few other people saying theirs has done the same (mostly 2017s, when pulling a load, and with the exhaust brake on) has anyone heard of this issue or have an idea of something I could look for to be a problem? I thought about pulling the shifter and looking at the shift tower to see if something is misaligned, the truck has a southbend 3250 in it, I haven't taken it to a dealer yet because the truck is deleted and tuned so not sure if they're gonna tell me to fly a kite or not, thanks for any info
    Welcome friend! Following your thread. I have a G56 also but it doesn’t pop out of 6 gear but definitely rattles in 5th.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply, its for sure not normal.

It seems to only do it while coasting down a hill with basically no load on the drivetrain.

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I would check your fluid level first. Ideally, it should be filled above the fill hole. These transmissions seem to like having 7 quarts in them.
    If proper fill level doesn't help out, it's probably your sixth gear synchro that needs to be replaced.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

7. Thanks Caltman, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome sorry to hear you have an issue with your G56. I used th have a similar issue out of my old sm465 granny 4 speed when you let off the throttle in third it would pop out. Sorry I'm not much help with a fix.

9. Thanks Caltman thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I loosened the fill plug and fluid was coming out, not sure if its overfilled by a quart or not but at least its full, I don't see even if it was low to cause the transmission to pop out of gear.

11. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Did the previous owner tow with it?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Did the previous owner tow with it?
    well i'm actually the 3rd owner,guy i bought it off said he towed a few times with it but nothing even close to the towing capacity of the truck but i am unsure of what the 1st owner did with it

15. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

well i'm actually the 3rd owner,guy i bought it off said he towed a few times with it but nothing even close to the towing capacity of the truck but i am unsure of what the 1, the first owner installed a gooseneck ball in it so im assuming he towed with it

17. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

3rd owner with 26000 miles?

Something is off.

My G56 in my 17 doesn't do it yet

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast