Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Recommended Updates

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Post Recommended Updates

OK, to start with I am new to Diesels to begin with.

I have built Bikes and hot-rods back in the day but never worked or did much with diesels.

So I am asking question here and I hope this is not a duplicate.

I bought a 2017 Ram 2500 long bed 4x4 Tradesman. Yes I was cheap with a MSRP sticker at 52K. I have added a pioneer radio with apple car play, dvd/cd/dvr and sirius. and I replaced the Firestone Transforce HT 275/70 -18's with same size Michellin AT's they also have a mileage warranty. This was around 44K miles.

I have been reading some of the forum for information but I get in a hurry trying to find things. I love my truck and I am now towing a 40' tow behind Mallard M335 Trailer that GVW is 10K lbs. Pulling the trailer using the tow switch and exhaust brake I get 11-12 mpg at highway speeds. these are the highways going to Texas to Oregon and back, Mountains, Desert, Flat, curvy and steep mountain switch backs. So the question is: 1 what are the recommended upgrades and what are the mandatory. What can I do to improve engine longevity, MPG, pulling power. I am retired military so I don't have deep pockets but don't want to cheap out either. I want quality.

I am a self taught mechanic and have built a lot of stuff. So that is it I want to know what is the best and what works, what doesn't is just fluff so don't need that. what do you guys recommend and in some kind of order so I don't spend money and not be about to utilize it to its fullest until I do something else.

The tried and proven stuff:
    1: Must have equipment in order most to lease or first to last
    2: Recommended equipment in order of importance and utilization.

This includes the differential covers that I see on some trucks, does it really serve a function or is it just bling. And Please do not recommend the Brass or Aluminum Bull ***** that hang on the underside of the truck and I don't need any gremlin bells, got them on the bike.

I know its asking for a lot but any help will be greatly appreciated, cuz I don't have a clue .

Thanks in advance

2. Thanks watersupply189, Thomas1960 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Recommended Updates

I'll share a few items that I found interesting.

#1 cabin filter
    #2 cabin air inlet filter
    #3 deep trans pan
    #4 REGULAR MAINTENANCE of fuel filter, CCV filter and oil filter of course. Always use quality filters : fleetguard, Donaldson, Cat........ect

There are 2 types of fleetguard fuel filters standard and nanonet, if you have a choice go nanonet. Fuel filtration should be a big priority. Educate yourself on the different filters and take note of the efficiency. The axillary Cat fuel filters claim 98% at 2Um (micron). That's impressive. Axillary fuel filters were important for the pre2013 trucks that didn't have the pre-filter under the bed. Some post13 guys still run them just to get the "purest" fuel possible. There are also axillary filters for oil and coolant.

You purchased an amazing truck - most important.......

ENJOY IT!

Look up Genos garage. Im sure they are a supporting vendor and they are great people to deal with. The frugal Fredie character (catalog cartoon) will give you some good tips. Genos is strictly a Cummins parts distributor.

The couple of items mentioned above are not in any order. Considering the towing you do, a deep trans pan will help with transmission temperature. However, if you're worried about a warranty changing hard parts might not be an option.

If you're considering doing your own maintenance keep good records. In fact, get a hard back and bound book. Track all your PM activities documenting date, engine hours and miles with each task along with receipts. I know it sounds daunting but could prove to be very valuable in the future.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Thomas1960 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Recommended Updates

CMB. THANK YOU.

Being new to several things here I am a bit naive abut some things about the diesel.

I haven’t been this happy with a truck in years.

While towing the trailer to Oregon I was very nervous about traffic and the mountains but the truck took care of my fears so she performed better than I would have thought.

So I want to take care of her.

I will check out the filters and by the best.

Thanks for info

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post