Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Steering play ,(wondering)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Steering play ,(wondering)

Is there a fix for the crazy amount of steering play on a 2012 2500 cummins?
    Mine is ridiculous, only 66000 miles!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Longhorn 2500 Mega Cab
    2003 SLT with a Smarty Tuner, Sinister Intake elbow, S&B Cold air intake
    2008 Harley Davidson Custom Built Electraglide
    2017 Jeep Rubicon 35 12.50 20 on Fuel Wheels, Locking front and rear diffs, disconnecting sway bar, 4 door hard top

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Steering play ,(wondering)

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoornut View Post
    Is there a fix for the crazy amount of steering play on a 2012 2500 cummins?
    Mine is ridiculous, only 66000 miles!

Have you taken it to an alignment shop? Could be your tie rods/tracking bar is wore out. That’s not many miles on that truck. Have you done any mods to it?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Definitely get it looked at. My '12 has more miles and has very little play in the steering. What little it does have I attribute to the 35" at tires I've been running.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Have you taken it to an alignment shop? Could be your tie rods/tracking bar is wore out. That’s not many miles on that truck. Have you done any mods to it?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    I had it looked at a shop when a bearing siezed up in the drive shaft. Didn't appear that bad.Im gonna take it to Ram dealership, tell them to fix it,most it can cost me is$100 with warranty I put on truck. I'm just wondering why it so bad with that low of miles

2017 Jeep Rubicon 35 12.50 20 on Fuel Wheels, Locking front and rear diffs, disconnecting sway bar, 4 door hard top

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

At 55,000 miles, my 2012 track bar was loose and the drag link was shot. I went with a Thuren track bar and sway bar from DDP. Drives better than new. A steering box brace helps as well. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you watch underneath for loose joints. It may scare you, it did me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram, Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I was having the same issues turned out my wheel hub assemblies were shot, upper and lower ball joints both side, tie rods you name it were all bad. Oh yea I have an 8” lift with 22x14’s with 35s -44 off set so I’m sure that didn’t help. Ended up costing me like 3200$. Wife was pissed. Everything seems fine now. Front end feels solid and steering wheel is tight as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks Outdoornut, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Outdoornut, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sycoink View Post
    I was having the same issues turned out my wheel hub assemblies were shot, upper and lower ball joints both side, tie rods you name it were all bad. Oh yea I have an 8” lift with 22x14’s with 35s -44 off set so I’m sure that didn’t help. Ended up costing me like 3200$. Wife was pissed. Everything seems fine now. Front end feels solid and steering wheel is tight as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah,mine still stock and awful. I feel you pain,I had same thing done to my 04.5.
    That's why I got the warranty when I bought this one.$100 for whatever it takes to fix,Ram dealership will be glad to find everything, LOL

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Here ya go: https://emfballjoints.com/products/d...-shaft-bushing

Those sleeves can fix a majority of issues with the steering half-shaft in our trucks.

And then do a steering box adjustment as well as a fluid change:

After doing the above fixes you should add a steering box brace which will help keep things stiffened up.

I ended up doing this backwards along with dual fox steering stabilizers (spent way more than needed) and still had issues.

And then finally the last thing was the $11 sleeves that helped fix it all.