Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First oil change ?

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: First oil change ?

Being an old fart, I've read a lot over the years and this is what I've found. When they make the engine blocks, they high pressure wash the block before assembly, but they also said not every bit of waste gets removed. So I usually change the oil and filter at the 2,500 mile and then every 15k per my manual or once per year, which ever comes first.

But then after reading a lot over the years and talking to many truckers, I added a 2 micron by pass filter setup. Doing a sample once per year with BlackStone out of Indiana, I will change my filter every 5k using enough new oil to refill the new filter keeping the oil pan level at proper level. Doing this, I keep the same oil until it heads towards the outer perimeters of the sample then change everything. (many truckers do this without any mechanical problems)

Last full oil change was after 80k (I couldn't take it any more and had time on my hands) but still within the proper oil specification limits. Truck runs great.

(Also, as mentioned before, they pressure wash before assembling, but I still installed a coolant by pass filter which removes the casting materials imbedded in the casting from the coolant side and my water pump is still original and running great. Just an FYI.)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, JBoatright thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I did mine@3100. 2 months. Truck had set on a dealer lot for a good while. Wanted to get a Stratapore on as soon as possible. The 15000/500/6 months sucks because it's always going to be 6 months for me.

4. Likes watersupply189, JBoatright liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

You are going to have a lot of highly varying answers here sir......

I dump the oil on a new diesel engine at 3,000 miles and change mine every 5-7k miles thereafter.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

6. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBoatright View Post
    I just got a 2019 2500 was curious, when should I do first oil change. I’ve heard at 1,000 or 3,000 even when truck says too. This is my first Cummins I was told on my Ecodiesel to go full 10,000 but changed it at 8,000 no problems with it. Just want to due what’s best and protection for my truck. I tow at least 4 days a week. Thanks for recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clear out your inbox friend so I can reply to your message.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, JBoatright liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBoatright View Post
    I just got a 2019 2500 was curious, when should I do first oil change. I’ve heard at 1,000 or 3,000 even when truck says too. This is my first Cummins I was told on my Ecodiesel to go full 10,000 but changed it at 8,000 no problems with it. Just want to due what’s best and protection for my truck. I tow at least 4 days a week. Thanks for recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine gits done every 6 months.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

10. Likes JBoatright, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I lean on the cautious side, do what always worked for my dad.

It costs a bit more, but easily done by myself.

I Change the oil every 5k, fuel filter / water separator every 10k.

His 03’ is still running btw.

Bumping 500k miles now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16' Ram 2500, long bed, 3000lb toolbox, MM3 tuner, EGRless tuned by DRD, kicker 12's, viper alarm with remote start. Delete warp tunes by DRD, 12v sound, whistle sound, race pipe exhaust & 30” FTE resonator

19’ Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12