Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with turbo Selction

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Need Help with turbo Selction

Hey Guys, I ran into some Crappy luck as of recent. Made the mistake of getting an mm3 tuner with egr/ DPF delete kit from Diesel Performance of Texas. Had really crappy results with the tunes provided by them. Noticed my exhaust brake quit working and truck was not performing any different between tunes also really crappy throttle response. I reached out to Ray from Drd and got the new tunes with gave me the throttle and power I was wanting/ expecting in the first place. However still very little exhaust brake response. After doing some more digging I have narrowed that part down to just the guide vanes being stuck due to carbon build up (I do have 130000 Miles on my truck, late in the game). I have decided instead of pulling it and cleaning it I am going to replace with a fixed vane turbo and get rid of this problematic VGT. I am currently have stock everything except egr cooler/valve delete cold air intake, CCV delete, throttle valve delete. I am not looking for anything crazy just something a little better. The Bd diesel Iron horn S364sxe/80 .91 caught my eye but cant figure out if this wise with stock internals. I am not worried about losing my exhaust brake because my camper is an ultralite about 6700lbs, and rarely tow. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need Help with turbo Selction

Quote Originally Posted by Dhopp00s View Post
    Hey Guys, I ran into some Crappy luck as of recent. Made the mistake of getting an mm3 tuner with egr/ DPF delete kit from Diesel Performance of Texas. Had really crappy results with the tunes provided by them. Noticed my exhaust brake quit working and truck was not performing any different between tunes also really crappy throttle response. I reached out to Ray from Drd and got the new tunes with gave me the throttle and power I was wanting/ expecting in the first place. However still very little exhaust brake response. After doing some more digging I have narrowed that part down to just the guide vanes being stuck due to carbon build up (I do have 130000 Miles on my truck, late in the game). I have decided instead of pulling it and cleaning it I am going to replace with a fixed vane turbo and get rid of this problematic VGT. I am currently have stock everything except egr cooler/valve delete cold air intake, CCV delete, throttle valve delete. I am not looking for anything crazy just something a little better. The Bd diesel Iron horn S364sxe/80 .91 caught my eye but cant figure out if this wise with stock internals. I am not worried about losing my exhaust brake because my camper is an ultralite about 6700lbs, and rarely tow. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to the forum my friend! I'll shoot you a PM so I can better assist you.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If ya aint plannin on crankin yer horsepower way up, an Aurora 3000 should work for ya. That’s probably the closest you’ll get to the response of your Holset.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

For got to mention I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Nice truck!

You can see that thing a mile away!

LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Likes Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

How often do you tow? Notice any issues with the light at mounted in front of the inter cooler?

Nice truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I used to tow my camper all the time when I traveled the u.s for work but I relocated to a local power plant so I rarely tow any more maybe once a year to go camping. My camper is an ultra light only weighs 6700lbs

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

some things to consider, doing a 2nd gen swap compared to a 4th gen drop in. The price is usually cheaper with doing a 2nd gen manifold swap. depending on what your Tuning is. Reach out to DRD and see what they would recommend with your current tuning. otherwise if you drop the oem turbo, you may need to change your tuning.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    some things to consider, doing a 2nd gen swap compared to a 4th gen drop in. The price is usually cheaper with doing a 2nd gen manifold swap. depending on what your Tuning is. Reach out to DRD and see what they would recommend with your current tuning. otherwise if you drop the oem turbo, you may need to change your tuning.
    A 2nd gen swap is cheaper than just boltin a new windmill up to his existing manifold?

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    A 2nd gen swap is cheaper than just boltin a new windmill up to his existing manifold?
    I can’t see how a 2g swap is cheaper. If you want to retain OE function and form with better performance.

The fleece cheetah is a great option.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast