Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: AAM Axle woes

1. Top Of Page | #1

AAM Axle woes

Truck is a 2011 with 102k on the clock. For the past couple months I have noticed a low groaning sound in the rear of the truck. At 80k I changed the diff oil for the first time. A little bit of metal dust on the plug but nothing out of the ordinary. I put in Redline GL5 75-90. Then changed at 95k as I heard the groaning. After draining the oil I noticed was a glittery . Which I did not expect

I refilled it with amsoil 75/115.

I dropped it off at a specialty drive line shop the other day

This is what they found on the carrier bearings.

They ended up replacing all 4 bearings in the Diff.

Then they checked the axle bearings at the wheels. Those were fine, so they just replaced the seals.

The odd part was... only one bearing/race looked that way. The other 3 were good. Even the shop thought that was odd

They are chalking it up to contaminants in the metal of the race. The thought is it has been progressing since day 1.

Either way it’s done and fixed. Total cost $1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: AAM Axle woes

Quote Originally Posted by smartdave View Post
    Truck is a 2011 with 102k on the clock. For the past couple months I have noticed a low groaning sound in the rear of the truck. At 80k I changed the diff oil for the first time. A little bit of metal dust on the plug but nothing out of the ordinary. I put in Redline GL5 75-90. Then changed at 95k as I heard the groaning. After draining the oil I noticed was a glittery . Which I did not expect

I refilled it with amsoil 75/115.

I dropped it off at a specialty drive line shop the other day

This is what they found on the carrier bearings.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4f5db9c02c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ea2d741fa9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1da3ac89cf.jpg

They ended up replacing all 4 bearings in the Diff.

Then they checked the axle bearings at the wheels. Those were fine, so they just replaced the seals.

The odd part was... only one bearing/race looked that way. The other 3 were good. Even the shop thought that was odd

They are chalking it up to contaminants in the metal of the race. The thought is it has been progressing since day 1.

Either way it’s done and fixed. Total cost $1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That really stinks man, glad to hear you are back in action again. That bearing and race were definitely not happy. Glad you noticed it before it got wiped out entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Likes AnOldBiker, smartdave, watersupply189 liked this post