Thanks Thanks:  168
Likes Likes:  430
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: City Diesel Actuator for 2013+ Cummins 6.7L

1. Top Of Page | #101

User Info Menu

Lots of excellent information here; thanks everyone for sharing.

I just got the P003A and P00A4 (55K miles); there was another silly code that says to check your owner's manual.

I'll be pulling the actuator tomorrow; nice to read that the City Diesel part doesn't require calibration since I don't know if my Foxwell i70Pro can perform that function.

2005 2500 (sold), 2015 MEGA Cab: Line-x bed liner, Retrax Cover, Amp Research Power Bars, Double R Diesel (MM3) programmer; Banks Monster Ram, Banks CAI, Sound System upgrade; JBL Coax in the dash, Kicker component system in the front doors, Pioneer quads in the rear doors, Cerwin Vega Pancake Sub. Hammer Head rear bumper w/ Rigid lights

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cwendel liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #102

User Info Menu

OK guys.

I finally got my actuator from @Geno's Garage and installing tomorrow.

Anything I need to know and can anyone tell me what the coolant i should refill with is, so I don't cross contaminate?

Thanks.

4. Likes watersupply189, Dirthrower liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #103

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jinxd View Post
    OK guys.

I finally got my actuator from @Geno's Garage and installing tomorrow.

Anything I need to know and can anyone tell me what the coolant i should refill with is, so I don't cross contaminate?

Thanks.
    Use OAT coolant.

I use the Mopar brand mix the concentrated with distilled water or also comes as premixed 50/50.
    I think you will find most all the information you need in this thread. Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Dirthrower liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #104

User Info Menu

Peak charge antifreeze is also good.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Dirthrower liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #105

User Info Menu

What did you guys do with the extra wiring?

The harness that comes off the actuator is bad enough, let alone the extra 6-8" for the adapter plug.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #106

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jinxd View Post
    What did you guys do with the extra wiring?

The harness that comes off the actuator is bad enough, let alone the extra 6-8" for the adapter plug.
    Wire tie out of the way.

using Tapatalk

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #107

User Info Menu

Update: After the MIL came on, I scanned the truck and there were three error codes; the first one was "check owner's manual." What's that all about?

Then I cleared the codes, waited for the MIL to come back on, and then re-scanned.

This time, the first error code was U010C "Lost comms with turbocharger control module."

The only driveability issue I had was my engine brake was not working; I've read it's good to use the exhaust brake to exercise those vanes, so I use it all the time.

Next step was to drain the coolant and pull the actuator; vanes moved freely, so I ordered the actuator from @Geno's Garage (Thanks for the help Chris!).

The actuator was very well packaged, and it comes with new gaskets and 12.9 grade M6 bolts.

Recommend torque for those fasteners is 204 in lbs, but good luck getting a torque wrench on the lower fasteners.

I used some 300 grit emery cloth to clean up the mounting face on the turbocharger.

After refilling the coolant, I cleared the codes and I was good-to-go!

Clear your codes after refilling the coolant, to get rid of that pesky "low-coolant" DTC.

I talked with Tim at City Diesel since I didn't know if the actuator would work with the Double R Diesel programming and the MM3 programmer. It does!

Tim also mentioned that the City Diesel product has 170 ft lbs of torque compared to the 60 ft lbs for the Holset unit, but I think he meant inch pounds. 170 ft lbs on that actuator bellcrank would rip if off the turbo.

I have one of these for gunsmith work, and it's great for torquing the actuator to gearbox screws (25 in lbs)

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-28595-To...s%2C189&sr=8-4

Thanks for CWendel for the initial post, @Geno's Garage, @Citydiesel, and Ray at @DRD!

Now my only question is what is the warranty on the new actuator?

2005 2500 (sold), 2015 MEGA Cab: Line-x bed liner, Retrax Cover, Amp Research Power Bars, Double R Diesel (MM3) programmer; Banks Monster Ram, Banks CAI, Sound System upgrade; JBL Coax in the dash, Kicker component system in the front doors, Pioneer quads in the rear doors, Cerwin Vega Pancake Sub. Hammer Head rear bumper w/ Rigid lights

14. Thanks watersupply189, DRD, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #108

User Info Menu

Not sure, but they have good customer service.

They sent me an updated gear housing as the original one sent was the wrong unit.

using Tapatalk

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Dirthrower liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #109

User Info Menu

Guys, the warranty is 2 years and unlimited mileage on the actuator.

using Tapatalk

18. Thanks AK Bob, Dirthrower thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Dirthrower liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Before you buy, check to make sure the gear that the actuator moves on the turbo is free. ***THIS CANNOT BE RETURNED***

Drain the coolant
    Remove the four 5mm Allen-head bolts holding the actuator to the turbo.
    Check to make sure the gear that the actuator moves on the turbo is free.
    Separate the actuator shell by removing the 4 torx bit screws holding it together.
    Join our actuator to your gearbox with the included screws. (It is very important that the turbo be completely dry before installing the new actuator.If not, and the circuit board is fried, we WILL void the warranty)
    Bolt the assembly back on to your turbo with the included new 5mm Allen-head bolts.
    Replace the coolant.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thus is great. How do we check the actuator gear prior to purchase? Take the old off and make sure it works?

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast