Thanks Thanks:  168
Likes Likes:  430
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: City Diesel Actuator for 2013+ Cummins 6.7L

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

City Diesel Actuator for 2013+ Cummins 6.7L

As some of you know I have been having engine issues for quite some time. I have changed many parts and have narrowed the cause toward the actuator. I had reoriented the factory unit and with only 39000 miles on the turbo. I chose to change the actuator. I searched and did not like the reman reviews or the fact that even a new one wanted my core.

So I bought the actuator made by City Diesel and sold by @Geno's Garage. I got the part in record time and decided to start it tonight.

Now, they say that you need to make sure the vane control lever moves before buying this actuator as there are no returns. Mine moved and I confirmed it when I ripped my old one off.

The part is very nice. It comes with the motor, gaskets, bolts and a new gearbox housing. The entire unit feels better than the factory unit. The gearbox looks like a unit for a truck and also comes with an adapter cable to connect the motor to the factory harness. The only problem I have is that the wires do not bolt to the turbo like the factory unit so the extra length looks a bit crappy, but if this works, I won't care one bit.

I have yet to clear the codes and see how it works but that will come tomorrow.

I still need to refill the radiator and put the fender liner back in.

Here are some pictures of the unit.

It looks like jewelry.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update, looking forward to positive test results tomorrow.

Nice looking actuator!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

3. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

So, got the truck started and running last night.

Cold start was way better than for the past year.

Still have a bit of fuel knock but got to clean the old girl out.

Now back to the actuator.

When I kicked on the cold start and idle up with the actuator, it kicked on stronger than I have ever heard before.

No whistle from the exhaust but that will come eventually.

It kicked off by 140 but the truck sounded different.

It also worked the vanes correctly because I was having a rich condition and could smell the diesel even with the stock exhaust.

Last night, no smell. Had a slight hint of the truck being a diesel but no more fuel smell.

The actuator has so far exceeded my expectations.

I am going out today and I will let all know how well it works.

using Tapatalk

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Great news, congratulations! Looking forward to your update.

Any advice or install tips for anyone else going this route?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback!

This looks to be a good option since FCA isn't covering (for the most part) all the actuator failures everyone is having.

I'm starting to see more and more failure popping up every week now.

7. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingSouthFarms View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

This looks to be a good option since FCA isn't covering (for the most part) all the actuator failures everyone is having.

I'm starting to see more and more failure popping up every week now.
    Ain’t that the truth I just started getting the U010c code, not happy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Okay, got to test drive last night. Forgot how nice the truck drove.

The exhaust brake worked when needed and the boost built quick and often. I also have to say that the exhaust brake worked really well and never seemed to hang too long.

More info on the unit. The gear housing was also bigger on this unit and the wire mount hole is no longer there. No problem with a few zip ties. I like the larger housing as it probably allows for more coolant and better cooling of the unit.

Before you spend the money, make sure to check your turbo. The vane lever must move full range and the mounting surface needs to be flat or at least rust free. Mine had some pitting and rust that I got rid of using a red abrasive cleaning disk. I had a small hump where the old seal set but I used my favorite gasket sealant to ensure a leak free use. I used the new version of the hylomar blue. Best stuff in the world as it never full hardens but still seals even if the gasket splits.

If you are looking for a new actuator, pass on the rebuilds and buy this one. It should last way longer, respond faster and be better than factory.

using Tapatalk

10. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Power247 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Man I was out hunting over the weekend and out of service area and missed this review.

I just pulled my turbo and dropped it off this morning at the rebuild shop.

After reading this review I would have gone with the aftermarket actuator.

In any case thanks for the write up and I'm glad it worked out for you.

12. Likes cwendel, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So how much does this unit cost?

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustincayko View Post
    So how much does this unit cost?
    $895

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...3/new-products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Thanks watersupply189, Cumminski thanked for this post
    Likes cwendel, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast