Thanks Thanks:  168
Likes Likes:  430
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: City Diesel Actuator for 2013+ Cummins 6.7L

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Came with all of the gaskets.

The part comes in two parts and you have to put it together, but the gear housing is larger than the original.

The whole part feels truck made while the stock one feels kinda weak.

2013 2500 6.7 Cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

2. Thanks REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

The entire take the old actuator unit off and see if the vanes are stuck comment bothers me. If they do move then the old turbo is no longer calibrated and you are not able to drive the truck until you get the new unit which doesn’t require calibration. Currently the actuators (for a 2011) are on back order so this could render your truck un-drivable for a period of time. I just had my turbo rebuilt and the actuator was still acting up so I went ahead and ordered a city diesel unit and have been patiently waiting for them to get back in stock for a few weeks now. So think twice about just pulling the old off unless it’s already just plain not working.

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper89 View Post
    The entire take the old actuator unit off and see if the vanes are stuck comment bothers me. If they do move then the old turbo is no longer calibrated and you are not able to drive the truck until you get the new unit which doesn’t require calibration. Currently the actuators (for a 2011) are on back order so this could render your truck un-drivable for a period of time. I just had my turbo rebuilt and the actuator was still acting up so I went ahead and ordered a city diesel unit and have been patiently waiting for them to get back in stock for a few weeks now. So think twice about just pulling the old off unless it’s already just plain not working.
    Good point, I hear what you are saying.

However this test will verify that the vanes are not stuck and the new actuator will work.

My thinking would be if the old actuator is not working properly anyway, then the vanes could be set at near full open and the actuator re-installed and left unplugged to drive temporarily while waiting.

Just my thoughts on this.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

5. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    Came with all of the gaskets.

The part comes in two parts and you have to put it together, but the gear housing is larger than the original.

The whole part feels truck made while the stock one feels kinda weak.

2013 2500 6.7 Cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk
    did you find install was pretty straight forward? Other than removing the wheel liner, pretty easy? Also. This question might win the noob question of the year,......but. Where in the heck is the drain for the coolant. I’ve scoured the web and can NOT find it. I’ve had the truck for 3 years and never once had to think about draining, although I did learn recently it’s good to drain and swap fluids after a while. Thank you. And commence the beat now.

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Install was simple and easy. There was a difficult part but that was just securing the extra length of wiring you will have.

The drain for the coolant is on the driver side of the radiator.

It is a 16mm wrench, kinda.

It is also easiest reached by pulling the grille and going in from the front.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

8. Thanks watersupply189, REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS View Post
    did you find install was pretty straight forward? Other than removing the wheel liner, pretty easy? Also. This question might win the noob question of the year,......but. Where in the heck is the drain for the coolant. I’ve scoured the web and can NOT find it. I’ve had the truck for 3 years and never once had to think about draining, although I did learn recently it’s good to drain and swap fluids after a while. Thank you. And commence the beat now.
    This link should help you find the radiator drain.

Burping the Radiator after EGR delete.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Post #17 from Trevor Bancroft

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Alright, guys.

I just installed my City diesel actuator from Geno’s garage.

Let me tell you. This truck is great! I’ve been running around with engine light on and actuator failure for about 2 weeks.

The truck was really laggy. I had just installed Ray’s spark plug package but hadn’t been able to really appreciate DRD’s work effectively till today.

It’s a whole new truck. Install was simple, just a little time-consuming.

I also had a ranch hand grille guard to take off so I could get to the drain plug.

So I ordered this part without first checking if it was actually an actuator failure.

Let me just say, just go ahead and check it. Because while you’re waiting, all you’re gonna be thinking about, is what if the dang thing doesn’t move freely like they said it needs to.

It was a big sigh of relief, but it was a real gamble and dumb.

The instructions that came with the product are simple and easy to understand.

I will report back on this after I put some miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Fantastic news!

Good advice to check turbo first.

Please keep us posted.

Congratulations

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

So what actually causes the actuator to go bad?

Is it electrical or a mechanical failure from the soot in the turbo?

Mine is in the shop now.

14. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Both. The soot causes drag and bad motors wear out faster. Also cheap electronics start to burn out and over heat from the amount of current drawn.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

16. Thanks watersupply189, Dirthrower thanked for this post
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast