Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help deciding on fuel filter setup

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help deciding on fuel filter setup

So, I have been trying to decide on a fuel filter setup for my 2012 CC 2500. I would like to have the piece of mind that comes from additional filtration, but the options are starting to get to me and I have seen several reviews but nothing addressing my specific question. So...
    Option 1-Single Underhood filter to replace stock style and run a Donaldson 3micron filter/water separator style filter. This is probably the cheapest option but I would loose the fuel heater (I live in southern Indiana and we do get cold on occasion
    Option 2-Single under cab filter base with Cat Filter and leave stock Nanonet filter under hood. This means slightly more expensive filter changes since I will have to replace both filters.
    Option 3-Dual under cab filter base with Cat Filter/Baldwin or Donaldson water separator and still maintain the under hood filter as well.
    The truck runs a 60hp tune but is otherwise stock with 100,000 miles, my main objective is longevity.

Thanks for your opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Help deciding on fuel filter setup

I went the 3rd route, with the ideal scenario being a rear cat/ fleet guard/Donaldson filter change every 15k and the stock every 30k. Extra filtration is a positive in the truck, and I can always delete the stock unit when I upgrade to an aftermarket lift pump.

The black market setup is cool, but I find it to be a waste of money if looking at a stock unit delete for aftermarket pump down the road.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Option 3 is actually where I started my original plan, but then seen some people who were happy to be rid of the expensive stock filter. After 30,000 miles what condition have you found your stock underhood filter to be in?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I haven’t hit the 30k mark on mine yet, however several guys in the area that work at local shops with similar setups indicated no significant increase in contaminants on the stock unit, using the additional “pre-filter”.

I don’t mind a $45 filter every 6-8 months. Every 2-3 gets excessive.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

100% agree.

Well you may have helped put me back on track.

If I can’t sleep better knowing my fuel is going thru 3 filters then there’s just no hope LOL.