Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumpers For Your Truck?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Bumpers For Your Truck?

Well I can't seem to find what I want, so I will make my own.

I'm looking for some ideas show me what you have i need some inspiration.

I made my own winch mount for my truck but I want a full bumper with winch mount.

I just need some ideas and pictures to get started.

Thanks for you help.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Bumpers for your truck?

After a lot of shopping, I went with the Westing HDX bumper; it's on the way. Westin seems to be one of the few (of many) aftermarket bumper builders that seems to understand that the intercooler needs airflow. I appreciate you creativity, but your design will also significantly block airflow to the intercooler. For you, this may only be a problem in the summer months ... gets very cold in the winder where you live. I'm in Florida, so I need airflow!

https://www.westinautomotive.com/hdx.../2015/ram/2500

https://www.autoanything.com/bumpers...x-front-bumper

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkov608 View Post
    After a lot of shopping, I went with the Westing HDX bumper; it's on the way. Westin seems to be one of the few (of many) aftermarket bumper builders that seems to understand that the intercooler needs airflow. I appreciate you creativity, but your design will also significantly block airflow to the intercooler. For you, this may only be a problem in the summer months ... gets very cold in the winder where you live. I'm in Florida, so I need airflow!

https://www.westinautomotive.com/hdx.../2015/ram/2500

https://www.autoanything.com/bumpers...x-front-bumper
    Thanks for replying, I tow quite often in the summer months 10k pretty much all steep terrain around here where I live and a few trips back to northern Ca, top of state to see family and I never have issues. It usually in the summer time when I go and the temps are 100* and I never see abnormal temps. Thats just a winch mount to get me by, like I said I am wanting ideas so I can just build my own. I needed my winch at the time so I made a mount in a hurry to get it on. I'm wanting a full bumper winch mount just cant seem to find anything I like. Just looking for what other people have and some inspiration on building one. And thanks for the idea of making sure I have good air flow to the intercooler, nice bumper you have ordered. I would love to see pics after you get it mounted.
    Nice set up you have!

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You mean you haven't had issues yet, and you may never have an issue related to the lack of airflow through the intercooler; this is about performance and turbocharger longevity (high egt). For years turbocharged engines didn't even have intercoolers. In later years intercoolers were included from the factory, and understanding the benefits of a colder, denser inlet air charge, there are a whole host of aftermarket suppliers that make larger and more efficient intercoolers. Those aftermarket intercoolers advertise reduced inlet air temperatures, reduced exhaust gas temperatures (colder in means colder out), and increased horsepower and torque.

Ram engineers designed the font bumper with 138 square inches of airflow inlet, the upper opening is 3 inches X 26 inches, for 78 square inches. The lower openings, in the valance, are 2.5 inches X 12 inches each, for 60 square inches. There's a reason they wanted that much airflow. From what I've seen the Flog, Fusion, Thunderstruck, and Westin bumpers actually address the airflow issue.

You won't see in increase in your IAT on your cooling system temperature gauge. You need an aftermarket gauge or programmer to see that temperature parameter. I will be pulling pre and post IAT readings (old bumper compared to new bumper). I'll post pictures and the data when I'm finished.

8. Thanks timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Tim, here are some pictures of the Westin HDX bumper, it's made for a winch. Light option is plug-in-play with your factory fog light harness, you can use the same switch (same fuse rating). Westin instructions suck, but it looks like you've already had your bumper off. For the rest of you, the Ram service manual instructions for bumper and bumper mounting plate removal are the best. I'll post those later.

Westin HDX bumper
    Lights: Westin PN 09-12212-20C (2 required, $75 each); https://www.amazon.com/Westin-09-122...4503224&sr=8-1

Do not buy PN 57-0035 ($299.00) that many of the bumper stores sell; that kit is not made for this bumper. Found all this out the hard way. And in case Westin didn't include the light kit installation instructions, here's a picture of the proper orientation of the brackets. The brackets come with the bumper, not the lights.

Oh, one last thing about the lights. The MM3 programmer I'm running lets you turn on low, high, and fog (now Westin 10" LEDs), at the same time.

As you can see, I switched the factory low and high beam bulbs to Opt 7 Flux Beam LEDs; http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-led-headlights/.

They are very bright, so make sure you adjust them properly or you'll blind other drivers.

2005 2500 (sold), 2015 MEGA Cab: Line-x bed liner, Retrax Cover, Amp Research Power Bars, Double R Diesel (MM3) programmer; Banks Monster Ram, Banks CAI, Sound System upgrade; JBL Coax in the dash, Kicker component system in the front doors, Pioneer quads in the rear doors, Cerwin Vega Pancake Sub. Hammer Head rear bumper w/ Rigid lights

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

4 Month update on the Westin front bumper.

While the Hammer Head rear bumper is still corrosion free after 6 months, the rust corrosion is coming through the paint on the Westin front bumper. I've filed a claim, and I'll keep ya'll posted on just how well Westin backs up their product.

Shackle Mount Weld.jpg

Light Recess.jpgFront Right.jpg

2005 2500 (sold), 2015 MEGA Cab: Line-x bed liner, Retrax Cover, Amp Research Power Bars, Double R Diesel (MM3) programmer; Banks Monster Ram, Banks CAI, Sound System upgrade; JBL Coax in the dash, Kicker component system in the front doors, Pioneer quads in the rear doors, Cerwin Vega Pancake Sub. Hammer Head rear bumper w/ Rigid lights

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkov608 View Post
    4 Month update on the Westin front bumper.

While the Hammer Head rear bumper is still corrosion free after 6 months, the rust corrosion is coming through the paint on the Westin front bumper. I've filed a claim, and I'll keep ya'll posted on just how well Westin backs up their product.

Shackle Mount Weld.jpg

Light Recess.jpgFront Right.jpg
    Bumpers let's keep it going there are a lot of them out there. Mine is the fusion it started running 6 months after I installed it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flanagan View Post
    Bumpers let's keep it going there are a lot of them out there. Mine is the fusion it started running 6 months after I installed it https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...de20b3e63e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c576dbbef1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9cbd154475.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4904f5aea1.jpg

I wonder if I can linex over the powder coat

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Update: Westin finally sent me a check for the cost of bumper removal, corrosion treatment, priming, Line-X application, and re-installation. Mike at Line-X in Pensacola, FL said he gets aftermarket bumpers all the time that need to be re-coated. Said most of them are not prepped properly before whatever coating is applied. Hats off to the Hammer Head guys! The back bumper on my truck still looks great and that's living in a very "corrosion friendly" environment of West FL.

One warning though, if you buy a bumper, make sure it's not processed through a 3d party seller. I got my Westen bumper from AutoAnything.com, and that order was processed through a 3d party supplier. When I ran into the corrosion problem, the 3d party vendor wanted me to remove the bumper and send it back to them; then, they would ship me a new bumper with the same old flawed coating process." That would mean my truck would be out of commission for at least 2 weeks. After many emails and phone calls, I finally got AutoAnything and Westin talking to each other, and I got the check.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I can drive from Oregon to you and can make a bumper for my truck for practice and to get ideas before you make yours.

www.bumpersuperstore.com
    has lots of companies and you get a pretty good look at the bumpers.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast