Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who tows somewhat heavy with ridge grapplers or toyo AT2?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Who tows somewhat heavy with ridge grapplers or toyo AT2?

I installed a set of BFG KM3’s 2 months ago and when I towed my 9K travel trailer the squirm was almost scary. Felt like the tires induced sway.

A month later I swapped those out for a set of Nitto ridge Grapplers in 295/60R20 mounted on the factory 20’s, the ride improved but still pushes me around in VERY light wind and small cars passing by me. This never happened with the factory trans force tires.

I run 65PSI front and 80PSI cold when towing, they get up to 90PSI per the TPMS.

Are the Toyo AT2 a better towing tire? What about the Falken AT3W? I need AT tire at the very least because of the terrain I travel.

My hitch is a blue ox sway pro, 12% tongue weight and my truck is a 2018 CCSB 4x4. It’s properly aligned, has a 1” spacer as a leveling kit and I added Firestone “red label” airbags that I run 12PSI in when I tow.

Truck has 32K.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Who tows somewhat heavy with ridge grapplers or toyo AT2?

I'm running Toyo AT2 Extreme 35/12.5/20s and they tow good. They are the only tire I have run on a 20" wheel though. Previous tire was Nitto TG 305/70 on factory 17s and moving to 20s was a vast improvement from a stability standpoint.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I run Cooper AT3 XLT tires LT295/60R20 load range E. They are nice and quiet and truck feels great towing my 10K fifth wheel.

My truck has the factory auto level rear suspension but truck doesn't squirm at all.

You could try going to a load range F tire as well.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189, InlineSix.7, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have some 35/12.5/20 ridge grapplers & they are squirmy for me at times when towing the pictured set-up...I had some 275/65/20 nitto terra grapplers and i thought they handled that much weight better. My truck has stable loads... I just put some airbags on but have not towed the pictured set up yet with the airbags installed. I run 65PSI front and 80PSI when towing the camper/boat combo..... and around 40 when empty or just towing the boat short distances to the launch.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 2500 CCSB 4x4 (68RFE) 5” FlowPro TBE W/Twister, MM3 Tuned by DRD, TVD, EGR Delete, Shibby plug kit, 2” level kit, Bilstien 5100, 35” Ridge Grapplers, 20” XD Addict wheels, N-fab 3 step Nerf bars, AMP rear Step, Firestone air-bags, Torque Lift stable loads.

8. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Why do you run your pressures so high? I ran 60F/55R psi unloaded on my truck (never towed with those tires) but I experienced sway like you're referring to on my 5th gen when the stock tires were drastically over pressurized.

Maybe bring that pressure down some and see if the problem goes away?

You could also try the chalk test....run a line across your tires (while loaded) and drive a bit...if you aren't scrubbing the chalk off, adjust your pressure accordingly.

10. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Why do you run your pressures so high? I ran 60F/55R psi unloaded on my truck (never towed with those tires) but I experienced sway like you're referring to on my 5th gen when the stock tires were drastically over pressurized.

You could also try the chalk test....run a line across your tires (while loaded) and drive a bit...if you aren't scrubbing the chalk off, adjust your pressure accordingly.
    80psi cold is factory recommended and what the tire is rated for.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

When towing you usually want to keep tires up near the max.

Otherwise the load rating of the tire starts dropping.

Rock solid is the best for towing from what I have found.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I’ve got the same hitch as you and my camper is about the same weight. I’m running 35” Toyo AT2’s and get the same “squirm” you’re mentioning. You have less sidewall than I do as I’ve got 17” rims. To a certain extent I think this is just a trade off that goes along with running a taller tire. Looks good but not optimal for towing. That’s probably one of the reasons why they put such small tires on these from the factory. I’m planning on upgrading to OEM 20” rims when these tires wear out in order to reduce the height of the sidewall. Glad to hear others have had an improved ride when stepping up to the larger rim diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUNED18 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TUNED18 View Post
    Most AT/MT tires are not rated for 80psi and the factory cold pressures go out the window.
    Additionally, the 5th gens are not cold recommended at 80psi anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    When towing you usually want to keep tires up near the max.

Otherwise the load rating of the tire starts dropping.

Rock solid is the best for towing from what I have found.
    I mean I get this part. I guess the question is, is it the tread or the sidewall flexing.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Most AT/MT tires are not rated for 80psi and the factory cold pressures go out the window.
    Additionally, the 5th gens are not cold recommended at 80psi anymore.

I mean I get this part. I guess the question is, is it the tread or the sidewall flexing.
    A lot are still 80 psi rated. Some are 65 psi rated.

I think the flexing varies alot from tire to tire.

What does your door sticker say for tire pressure?

As far as I know pressure ratings are always "cold". You should never set pressure when tires are warm/hot.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast